Pregnancy: June 2009 Babies Community
Excessive thirst, weight, and breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in June 2009.

Hi, this is my first pregnancy and I have some questions. First off, from the moment I got pregnant the weight began to pack on, severely. I gained 26lbs when I went in for my first prenatal visit. The week prior, I had gone to my regular
doctor to confirm my pregnancy, and had only gained 20 lbs. Both are quite a lot and I do think that it is beyond excessive to have gained nearly 30 lbs in just 6 weeks of gestation. This definitely scares me for both my unborn baby, my health, and the future problems that could arise. I just don't know what could cause this?

Also, I have had excessive thirst which I know is a symptom of gestational diabetes. A few years back, I was very overweight and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and was told that if I did not lose the weight, I could very well become diabetic which coincidentally, is very genetic on both sides of my family. I know that they usually do not preform the glucose tolerance test until well after 20 weeks, and am thinking that I should request one sooner.

Lastly, I had a breast reduction 5 years ago and went from a EEE to a C. I was also born with inverted nipples, but upon having the surgery much of this was corrected by chance. Since becoming pregnant, I have gone from a C back to a DD in a hurry. I do not want to breastfeed because I have always found that area to be sexual and stimulating, but I would love to be able to use a breast pump and take medication to help induce my mild supply. I just don't know what my chances are to be able to do so. I have read up a lot on this topic, but much of my results are scattered.

If you could advise me regarding my excessive weight gain, thirst, and future ability to produce milk, I would greatly appreciate it.

To me the weight gain is definately excessive and I would consult with your OB incase the pregnancy has triggered some kind of other problem.  Diabetes could be a real possibility.  Normal weight gain is between 25 and 35 lbs during the whole pregnancy.  
         As far as the breastfeeding goes, you really should consider giving it a shot.  It will be very difficult for you to pump without breastfeeding.  For the first 24 hours after delivering you only produce collostrum, after that your milk will come in. But I'm not sure that your milk will come in if you just try pumping.  I know I could never used a pump because my let down reflex would not get triggered unless the baby was nursing.  I actually had to stop nursing once my baby was 5 months along because I had to return to work and could not nurse often enough to keep my milk supply going.  Also, it doesn't really matter whether or not you pump or breastfeed you will get the same stimulation.   Once you have your baby, I think you'll be supprised by how it won't seem so "icky".  It will feel very natural to want to nurse your baby and will even help you and your baby bond.  Don't get me wrong, if you don't think it's for you, don't do it.  
Let me know if you have any more ?'s