Pregnancy: June 2009 Babies Community
Excessive thirst, weight, and breastfeeding
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in June 2009.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Excessive thirst, weight, and breastfeeding

Hi, this is my first pregnancy and I have some questions. First off, from the moment I got pregnant the weight began to pack on, severely. I gained 26lbs when I went in for my first prenatal visit. The week prior, I had gone to my regular
doctor to confirm my pregnancy, and had only gained 20 lbs. Both are quite a lot and I do think that it is beyond excessive to have gained nearly 30 lbs in just 6 weeks of gestation. This definitely scares me for both my unborn baby, my health, and the future problems that could arise. I just don't know what could cause this?

Also, I have had excessive thirst which I know is a symptom of gestational diabetes. A few years back, I was very overweight and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and was told that if I did not lose the weight, I could very well become diabetic which coincidentally, is very genetic on both sides of my family. I know that they usually do not preform the glucose tolerance test until well after 20 weeks, and am thinking that I should request one sooner.

Lastly, I had a breast reduction 5 years ago and went from a EEE to a C. I was also born with inverted nipples, but upon having the surgery much of this was corrected by chance. Since becoming pregnant, I have gone from a C back to a DD in a hurry. I do not want to breastfeed because I have always found that area to be sexual and stimulating, but I would love to be able to use a breast pump and take medication to help induce my mild supply. I just don't know what my chances are to be able to do so. I have read up a lot on this topic, but much of my results are scattered.

If you could advise me regarding my excessive weight gain, thirst, and future ability to produce milk, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks