Pregnancy: June 2009 Babies Community
I "was" late on my period, not sure if I should still test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in June 2009.

I was a month late on my period, I have the sore breasts, and tiredness, the sickly stomach. One person told me to test and I'd probably test positive since Im soo late, she also said I'd be around 7 weeks pregnant.

Now my question is, I have mild cramps and the bleeding isnt too bad. Should I still test for pregnancy or should I just assume Im not and my monthly is just really late?

If you think I should test to be on the safe side, when should I test. Morning, Night, After.. Since my period was already over a month due..??
Hi there,
There is absolutely no reason not to test, to give yourself peace of mind.  Sometimes bleeding can be from the pregnancy itself, and not really your period.  Other times you could have various reasons why your period was so late.  (Hormones problems, Thyroid problems and Pituitary problems. - I suffered with a pituitary tumour for years and didn't know about it until I came off the BCP, and was so irregular and then my period stopped all together.)  But if this is an isolated event for you, it would be worth testing.  The best time to test used to be first morning urine because it was so concentrated, but many tests say you can test anytime of day now.  My personal favourite test is First Response (Early Response) because it detects hCG (pregnancy hormone) at lower amounts than most other brands.  (Around 20-30 mIU/mL) where doctors offices urine tests detect at 80 mIU/mL.  If the urine tests are not your thing, you could ask your doctor for a beta hCG blood test which would be much more absolute at this point and when you are this late for your period.  Also remember that pregnancy symptoms are so much like hormonal symptoms, many symptoms that are similar can be caused from a host of different things, not just pregnancy.  Some people have these types of symptoms just before their periods start which can be aggravating when you are trying to conceive, and some people's birth control can also cause pregnancy like symptoms due to the hormones in the birth control (like the BCP, Depo shot etc.)  I usually tell people not to test until they miss their first period, so you should be able to test accurately at this point.  Even up to 2 weeks after a missed period.  When I was pregnant with my first born, I didn't test positive until 4 days after I missed my period, and even then it was the faintest positive, I wasn't even sure it meant I was pregnant!
Please let me know how it goes, send me a direct message if you can.
In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Down syndrome Community Leader
& Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
I have cramps on one side, my left side.. My back doesnt hurt and I dont really have a headache. This is all very confusing to me :(