Pregnancy: March 2009 Babies Community
Exercise?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies born in March 09.

Exercise?

So...my mom keeps bugging me to exercise because she says it is good for me and will help with the delivery and blah blah blah..haha. I am not really a fan of exercise because the only time I do it is when I am trying to lose a few pounds or bathing suit season is coming up. Are any of you doing exercises???? I would be especially interested to hear from those who didn't exercise regularly before you were pregnant...since I know there are some "freaks" out there who love to run. (just kidding! I am envious of people like that!) :)

But I would love to hear from everyone who has an opinion on this (regular exerciser or not). And also...what exercises are you doing?
hahahah exercise .. the only exercise i do is run around after my kids.. littest one being just about 10 months.. thats all i get .heehee and thats enough. im not a fan of it.. and i have only gained 2 lbs so far and im 21 weeks and 2 days..... so just relax and do wht you want for ur pregnancy.. either way its labor wheither it be a hard one or a easy one you still get the same result in the end ... that big ole bundle of joy
i took classes during the week pre-pregnancy - then when I was about 8 weeks I had a subchorionic hemorrhage - so I had to not exercise and no sex. That kind of took me off my stride - and up until then I was just doing eliptical.

Now I am just walking - whenever I can - but I think I need to get into more of a plan. I am just so tired - I lack serious motivation these days!
I was a somewhat avid exerciser before I got pregnant. It was hard to keep a routine in the first trimester but I think I have a good one now. I go to the gym Tues -Thurs. I primarily use the treadmill. I walk at about a 2.8 - 3.0 pace in the "random" mode. This gives me some up hill and flat walking. I figure the uphil walking would work my butt and thoughs pretty well. Anyway, I do kind of a graduated workout so it doesn't seem so monotonous.

Tues - 30 min
Wed - 40 min
Thus - 50 min

I try to get a 60 minute treadmill walk in on either Sat or Sun. If I am just not up for it I do an video work-out at home for 2nd trimester pregnancy. It is actually pretty good. You get cardio, weights, core and yoga in the video so I can go for as long as I want.

Each of the weekdays I also try to throw in some free weight lifting if I can. Like last night I did about 5 minutes of side abdonmial work and shoulder work. That is about it.

I enjoy the working out....I have read it can help your mood so I am all for that. I am also hoping that it wil help make delivery easier and faster.

Anything to get extra oxygen and blood to your baby is good. Good luck...I hope you find something that works...I think it will really pay off in the end. :)
I'm with you Amy, I am so not into exercise. I try to walk on one of my 15 minute breaks during the day, but that is more to get some fresh air and get away from my desk :). My husband bugs me about it too, but he just doesn't understand the energy it actually takes!! Now that it is getting colder (we had our first snow last night!!) I think I am going to have to break out the eliptical that is hidden away in my closet. Not that I think I need to exercise, I still am 2lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight, but I think if I try to get into some type of routine, it will be easier for me to lose the weight after the baby comes.