Should I have a baby shower?
I really don't want to have a baby shower, not because I'm anti - social or think I'm to good or anything. But because of the economy. There are so many families in my area that are struggling because one or both adults are out of work and I feel guilty asking them to buy me something when they can't buy for their own families. I've agreed with my mom and aunt to at least plan one for the beginning of march, I'm due 3/22, but I feel that everyone that cares about my husband and I knows we are having our first baby and if they can will buy our little girl something before or after she gets here. With the economy am I wrong to not ask people who are struggling to provide for their own families to buy my baby something? My husband has an excellent paying job, and I know at this time we are fortunate compared to many others.
Well, this worry should be out of your hands (and technically out of your mom's also) because neither you nor your immediate family are supposed to throw a shower, according to Emily Post.  This stricture apparently comes from the long-ago notion that the family is of COURSE going to give you things, like it's their job, and so they are not supposed to be the one soliciting contributions, only friends who do it voluntarily will are supposed to throw showers.  Don't you love it when your own impulses are consistent with white-gloves etiquette?
Its simple, if you don't want a shower, don't have one.those who want to (and can) get you something will do so whether you have one or not