Postpartum Issues
Okay this is going to be long, so I apologize for that. I have two daughters. My oldest is 3 years old and my second is just 7 1/2 weeks old. My first born and I had such a strong relationship. She has endured so much change this past year. We moved off our farm so we could take down our house to build a new one, I got pregnant, went back to work in August (I'm a teacher) and she started to go to daycare. Two months later started at a different daycare, moved into our new house and now has a little sister. She did start to act out a little more with all the change, but since we brought home #2 she hasn't been the same little girl. She is no longer well behaved in public, is very naughty and talks back constantly.  I have had some trouble with postpartum  emotions. My doctor said I don't have postpartum depression, but something has to be wrong with me. I no longer feel like I love my first born. I feel like my brain has replaced the feelings for daughter #1 with #2. This isn't okay and I hate myself for it. I don't know if just being tired with taking care of a newborn has something to do with it, but next week I have planned to leave the baby at daycare, so my oldest and I can have a day together. But, it's not normal or okay that I only want to be around my baby and not my oldest. When I was pregnant I was so scared that I wouldn't have enough love for my second because I cared so deeply for my first and now I feel like that has become reality, but just flipped around. I feel all we do is fight with each other because she is always misbehaving, and I don't want to miss out on having a relationship with her. I honestly don't know what to do. Please, I need some advice, so I don't lose the chance of being close with my daughter.
Terrible 2's aren't just for 2 year olds. It can be stressful. It is important that you carve out a portion of your day for her maybe before bed, before reading you can color or something just you and her. She is at the age where she can begin to understand reward and consequences. So maybe setup a reward system to reinforce her good behavior.