Pregnancy: May 2009 Babies Community
Bottles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in May 09.

Bottles

So I know we had talked about bottles and that stuff, I just wanted to tell everyone that when we left the hospital and quit using the cheap little bottles they use that Addy's gas drastically decreased. I am using the Avent and so far they have been wonderful, she hasn't spit up since we started using them, and she was spitting up after every feeding with the others. Just thought I would share!

Hope everyone is well!
kiki that is great news... especially since i invested in (on ebay of course) about 14 AVENT bottles... just in case nursing didnt work. what kind of formula are you using? is it ready to feed, concentrate or powder? the cheap lil bottles you are talking about are those the ones that have the ready to feed formula in them?

just a little FYI... usually ready to feed has more fats in it, which WILL lead to more spitting up, the concentrate (where you have to mix with water) is better but still has those fats in it... but the powder formula since it IS powder does not have the same form of fats in it, and therefore is suppose to help with spitting up. with my older son he was on Similac concentrate at first, and then when he was spitting up so much they had me try the powder BEFORE they would change brands and the powder did the trick... so who knows... just thought i would add my 2 cents...lol
I'm so glad some of you ladies are forging on ahead of me... I am so nervous about all of that stuff, so those are all good things to remember just in case!!
i think my fav formula for any of my kids (i currently have 3) was with my youngest Enfamil AR... he never spit up much with it (he had really bad reflux) and even the ready to feed was good.... now they are making it more often in other forms and i think it is just great. i plan on nursing but if for some reason i cant... then i know what formula i want to use...lol
I am kind of woried b/c if i am not able to breastfeed i have no idea what formula to use!!  I do have Avent bottles on hand though so daddy can help feed if he needs to.
Joyce~ I am also using the ready feed at home, it's a little more pricey, but it's much easier, plus I don't trust our water where we live even boiling it! LOL  I swear at least one week out of the month we are on a boil advisory!

I started her out on the Enfamil Lipil, she tolerated it well so we stuck with it, I was a little worried b/c Jeremy and I both had milk allergies, but only one of my boys did, and she seems to be doing great with it! Oh and babies do spit more in the hospital b/c of the huge build up of mucus.

It's funny how excited I got when she had normal poop! It's funny the things you get excited about with a new baby! LOL

kylesMom~ The hospital told me it really didn't matter what brand, Enfamil, Similac ....... The pediatrician said it was pretty much all the same, you just have to watch for sensitivity to milk base, and if thats the case you would probly just need to switch to Soy formula.
Wow... so much info... thanks ladies
kiki... i want to bf, but am afraid to... i know that sounds crazy. but when i tried to nurse my older son, it didnt work out, and he got frustrated and i got frustrated (poor latch on) and after 6 weeks i just gave up. not real sure what i will do with this one... i guess just give it a good try. alot of ppl are pushing for me to nurse... nurses, friends, ect... but i am not sure how that is gonna work, especially since about 6 weeks after baby is born, i have to turn around and go back into hospital to have a hernia repair... so will have to be on bottled breastmilk anyhow... and not sure if baby will go back onto breast after 2-3 days on a bottle... UNLESS my friend who is watching my kids for me, will be bringing the baby up and letting me nurse while i am there... i hope that i CAN nurse while in the hospital... i hope that they dont give me a bunch of meds that will have a bad reaction to either my milk, OR the baby if i nurse while in the hospital... UGH!!!!!
anyhow i know this was off topic, but thought i would vent a bit about bottles vs breast....lol
also i picked up a couple of AVENT pacifiers....kool
Joyce~ I breastfed both of my boys, and to be honest I felt a little guilty not trying with Addy, but it is a matter of preferance. I have to go back to 12 hour clinical days for school, which would make it really hard. PLUS formula has come such a long way, she gets everything she needs. BUT Jeremy and I do joke about the money we would have saved! LOL