Pregnancy: May 2009 Babies Community
Lovenox or Heparin - Anyone taking either of these?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in May 09.

Is anyone taking Lovenox or Heparin injections during pregnancy?  Or have you taken either for prior pregnancies?  I'm just really nervous about the fact that my doctor told me in order to get an epidural the drug will have had to be out of my system for about 12 hours.  He acted like it was pretty common and no big deal, but I'm just worried.  If there is too much of the drug in my system it could cause a blood clot causing permanent paralysis!  I'm just a little freaked out.
My understanding is that Heparin is more controlled than the Lovenox as far as getting out of your system quicker. I am currently taking Heparin injections twice a day (5k units each) to prevent my blood from clotting off my pregancy - currently 5 weeks. I previously had two miscarriages before they found that I have Factor Five Leiden Heterozygous - which causes my blood to clot quicker than the normal person. Hence, clotting off the pregnancies. I would suggest that you speak to a hemotologist regarding your concerns and my guess is that they will suggest Haparin, as mine did. I will take it throughout my pregnancy and 6 weeks after delivery - when the chances of blood clots go up. Remeber, you are doing this to protect yourselve as well as your baby.

Exect bruising and some discomfort at the injection site. Good Luck!
Thank you for your comments!  However, I posted this about 9 months ago and on April 28th had my healthy, beautiful, baby boy!  All the shots were worth it!  I ended up being switched to Heparin and had forgotten to take the shot the morning I had my son which was a surprise. So God was watching out for me and I was able to get my epidural!
Sorry... didn't know you were already pregnant! Congrats on your healthy baby boy!