Pregnancy: May 2009 Babies Community
Swelling and 37 weeks +

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in May 09.

Swelling and 37 weeks +

I had my 37 week check up and I was concerned about all the swelling, because this last week my hands are so swollen all of a sudden that I can't wear my rings anymore, and my feet are so swollen I can only wear flip-flops or house shoes and my ankles and the bottom of my feet hurt really bad when I walk.  My OB says that my blood pressure though is still perfect, so he is not concerned about it at all.  Anyone else swelling like that??  I drink 4-5 bottles of water EVERY day, so I know it's not that I need more water...

He didn't do the cervix exam like I thought he said he was going to do, he said he was going to do it next week... I think it is because my husband usually goes with me, but he wasn't there this time b/c he had to work, but oh well.

I really wanted to hear him say something like you're dialating or the baby is coming down, or your cervix is thinning, but oh well, gotta wait a whole other week to hear anything!!!!  Ugh... I am soooo ready!!  Do you think that is selfish???
You aren't being selfish.  I've been a trooper through this entire pregnancy and this pregnancy is something that I've wanted for some time now, but I'm to the point where I'm wanting to complain.  People always told me wait until that last month and I thought they were crazy, because until now it's been great.  Now that here...my back hurts, I'm fidgety all the time, I'm restless or having to go pee all the time when I can sleep.  I think we are all to the point where we are ready to hold our little ones.  There is light at the end of the tunnell...and we all are fast approaching it!
I've been lucky on the swelling front upto now, but my ankles have been very itchy... don't know why!  Lots of women swell in the last month particularly because baby is puttin on the most weight, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as your bp is ok!!
mommy2b- i am swelling like crazy, i pretty much cant do anything all day or i swell up like a balloon. i went to the hospital last night b/c my sister was induced and when i got home i couldnt get my shoes off!! hubby had to help, my feet had perfect indents from the shoes, and these are shoes i bought for my swelling feet! i bought them in a wide width. i think i;'ll stick to flip flops from now on, it was a bit cold here yesterday. my hands  are the same way, i have a ring hubby got me for my birthday since my wedding bands no longer fit at that point and it is 2 sizes bigger than my wedding bands and it no longer fits!! my blood pressure is 100% normal and like you I make a pretty good effort to drink alot of water. its frustrating no doubt about it. i am finding now that even when i wake up in the morning they are a bit swollen and already sore.
just think 3 more weeks and hopefully we will both be done!!

p.s i had an exam yesterday and trust me it is NOT FUN! it was painful. i know its exciting to know if anything is happening but honestly i wonder if it was worth it, i was sore all day after....hopefully that makes you feel a bit better!
Oh, wow, hkenny, I didn't know it was gonna hurt! Yikes!

Well, I'm happy to hear I'm not alone in the swelling game.  And even happier to hear I'm not the only one ready for the pregnancy side of things to be over and start being a mommy!

Thanks ladies!
i think it just depends on the doctor doing the exam here whether it hurts or not, the first time i ever had my cervix checked was with the twins last year and it hurt so bad, it was like he put his entire fist up there it was painful, but my regular doctor i go to, i barely feel ne thing, but good luck mommy2b my feet were very swollen for a while and still do sometimes but lately it's gone down alot..... but i had high blood pressure off and on for the past 3-4 wks... hope things go great at the next visit.
With the swelling more water could actually help. Sometimes there is nothing yo can do about it but the more water you drink the more chances you have of flushing it out. Also keep your blood circulating. I started having problems with that too. Just some tips to try if youre still having problems. Sorry your appointment was a disappointment.