Pregnancy: May 2009 Babies Community
anyone planning on banking their babies cord blood?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in May 09.

My husband and I are looking into this and we want to do it, but there are so many companies out there we dont know which one to go with. Has anyone done these before I had freinds or family do it?
I have been considering it myself, and I have no idea either! Let me know what you decide.
im confused! can you explain what it is?ive never heard of banking it!
Claire: Your doctor, at delivery, will collect the blood out of the umbilical cord if you choose to do this.  It is to treat diseases, including leukemia, other cancers, and blood disorders.

We are looking at it because DH is a Type 1 Diabetic and has been since he was 6 years old.  And they say down the road they may develop stem cell treatments for his diabetes.

I heard some are going bankrupt, but we aren't sure which company to use.  I see commercials for Via Cord all the time.
oh wow i never knew that, i might google it too get more info, sounds very interesting!
so does your midwife mention it when you have the talk about your birth plan?
We did not do it with our DD and a friend of our did not do it with number 1 or 2. Their first born was diagnosed with leukemia at two years of age. The stems cells collected from their 3rd baby was used to treat it. We are definitely going to do it with our second.
this sounds like a great idea, but i have heard it is very expensive....anyone know the cost of this?
did a google on it...here is some info....

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/cordbloodbanking.html
jules- my husband watched a show on it, where the mother was diagnosed with lukemia before she got pregnant, when she did get pregnant she was about to undergo chemo. the doctors told her if she didnt terminate her pregnancy she would die from not getting treatment. She refused and delivered a healthy baby boy, they collected the cord blood. She then underwent chemo which did not help her lukemia at all, she suggested giving her her sons cord blood! She is 100% healthy today and has no lukemia. She gave her son life so he could save hers.... What an amazing story. That is why my hubby wants to get it done they know it can cure certain diseases.
Here in Canada its about $2000 for 18 years of freezing, it seems like alot but they have payment plans and really if it saves your childs live its worth it.
I've been thinking about banking my baby's cord blood too.  It just seems like such a great idea just INCASE something happens.  I'd hate to think I could've done it if I didn't, then needed it.  I'm in the same boat as y'all though with not knowing which company to go through.