Pregnancy: May 2010 Babies Community
woo! (water birth)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in May 2010.

woo! (water birth)

having a may baby  ( due may 13)

i'm thinkin about a natural/water birth
it's my first baby

has anyone had one/thinking of having one?
to me the benefits outweigh the risks

but i'd like to hear from someone who's had one personally/ thinkin of it

how bad is it?
how do you find a hospital that does it?
do all hospitals approve your choice/know what they're doing with a water birth?

any info will help.

thanks!(=
-jess

hey i am due may 5th and i am really thinking i want to have a water birth too...both the hospitals by my house do it... if its something you are really thinking about i would talk to you doc...they could tell you more about it and if a hospital by you offers something like that!
ya there's a lot of benefits .. i called 2 hospitals by me and they don't do em...

does health insurance cover midwives  for home birth?
my insurance covers midwives but i couldn't find one...i would check with your insurance company  
depends on your insurance. if you could afford to pay out of pocket, you would be amazed at how much cheaper the care is than if you were to go to a doctor or group of doctors, and deliver at any hospital. but i suppose that also depends on the midwife too. it isnt cheap exactly, two of my friends had home births and each ran about $5,000.
Had a home water birth with a midwife in May of '08. Grand total out of pocket $3500.00 + herbal teas and things necessary to have on hand for a homebirth. Probably cost about 5k at most. Was it worth it? Every second! I have had previous children in hospital, and wanted to be home, with no strangers around...and own my baby as my own without the "help" of medical staff. My mw's carry all the emergency equipment oxygen tanks, resuscitation gear and over 25 years of hospital trained experience. I always felt safe! The pain was manageable, but no lie, childbirth hurts! I suggest reading up on it, and your mw will likely have a lot of books they can recommend. My only regret is that I didn't start with the homebirth route with my first baby. I'll never go hospital again!

Best of luck!
I felt very rushed by the hospital staff with both of my children so I too am looking into a home birth for my current pregnancy. I had each child at a different hospital & they were both so quick to inject me with Pitocin to speed up the delivery. My last one was born on Labor day weekend & they were just trying to get me out of the room so that the other 7 women in the waiting room could get cycled in & out.

I had no ripping or tearing with either of the other two, nor did I have an epidural with either one. My 6 year-old daughter was in the room when I gave birth to her little brother & she only gave me one warning: Don't be screaming or crying. So, I had to suck it up & take the pain as quietly as possible just for her. Let's just wait & see if she repays the favor someday...LoL
Congrats to all of you
&
BRAVO on your choice of a natural birth (Home or Hospital)

I will be birthing at home as well, VBAC too!!

My excellent & very experienced midwife thinks I am a good, low-risk candidate.  My husband & I are so thrilled!!

My first was a planned c/s due to breech presentation.  I MADE them wait for me to go into labor.  I was not going to let them cut her out before she was ready.  The experience was horrible!!

I am already reading & preparing...
Birth Space, Safe Place: Emotional Well-Being Through Pregnancy and Birth
by Adela Stockton is a great Primer
Now I'm on to
Calm Birth: New Method for Conscious Childbirth by Robert Newman
I'm liking it so far.

Fugitive
thank you guys for all of you help  my first trimester will be over not too long from now so now i gotta get a move on and find a place that does water birth or find a midwife.
i have my heart set on it! = p