Pregnancy: Nov 2009 Babies Community
Level 3 Ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in November 2009.

Level 3 Ultrasound

Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me what to expect at a level 3 ultrasound?  They told me it'll take an hour and my bladder has to be full .... yikes! (the hour part ...hard for me to stay still)
I, too, would love to know more about it.  I have a level 3 ultrasound scheduled for Monday since I'm considered high risk with twins.  Anyone have any info?  Would greatly appreciate it!
Well, I think I find out the answer to mine and your questions from one of my friends.  

She said that with the level 3 u/s they are going to check everything..the brain, the heart valves, the liver, the kidney all organs...its such a good reassurance..and they should be able to tell you the sex as well..

hope this helps you?  good luck on Monday...please let me know how it goes? and how long it takes...

best of luck, I'll be thinking of u
ttys
That is strange as what you describe sounds exactly what they told me the Level 2 u/s would be like which I have scheduled at week 21. That was to take 1hr and check all organs (size, shape, bloood flow etc) and limb lengths etc and would take 1 hr.
So I am not sure what the difference is between a level 2 and level 3?
Bron
Thanks Bron for mentioning this, yes it does sound very similar.  If I remember, when I go for my appointment on June 24th I'll ask them what the difference is.

Thanks..

So I had my ultrasound this morning.  You do need to go in with a semi-full bladder so they can get a better view of everything.  They checked everything from head size, to limb length,  to all major organs.  I was told the only difference between a level 2 and a level 3 was the quality of the image, but that they do the same thing.  It was very easy, and once the technician took all the measurements, then the doctor came and looked over them and also did more on the ultrasound himself.  Overall, it took about 45 minutes.  Hope this helps!