Small embryo size at 7 weeks
Hi Everyone,

I went for a vaginal ultrasound on 3/27 at exactly 7 weeks (which is accurate as we had IVF).  

The ultrasound showed a strong heartbeat but the doctor said the embryo size was measured at 6 weeks 1 day.  

He's a little concerned and wants me back next Friday to measure again.  

Should I be worried?

Lisa K
Even though you know you are 7 weeks, maybe the little bean just implanted late and that is why it's a few days behind?  I am not familiar with IVF so I don't know if they can pinpoint implantation...that was just my first guess.  :)  I hope everything turns out OK next week at your next scan!  :)

Oh, I do also know from my recent experience that your hcg has to be so high in order to see anything on an ultrasound.  Maybe your levels are just on the low side of normal and everything will catch up??  
I know this isn't quite the same thing, because I didn't undergo IVF, but I was sure I was seven weeks at my visit, and it turns out I was pregnant with twins, and each one measured a different size (one measured 6 weeks 5 days, the other measured 6 weeks 2 days).  The OB was not concerned at all.  I was worried about the smaller one, and she said different angles of the ultrasound can give different measurements.  So maybe when you go again, they'll see it from a different angle, and get a totally different measurement!
-1st
Thank you both for your responses!  
I'm not sure exactly when my embryo implanted, but the eggs were fertilized on a certain day and so that's how they get an exact date for the age of the embryo. My doctor stopped checking my HSG levels at week 4; they were pretty good numbers, but not sure why they don't continue to check.  So I'm hopeful that maybe the measurements during the ultrasound are a little off, or maybe everything will catch up by next ultrasound.  The doctor said he was a little concerned, maybe not seriously concerned, but of course any concerns scare me!
Thank you again and I'll just try and stay optimistic!  :)
Lisa K
Good luck!  Let us know how things go!
-1st
I went in for a follow-up ultrasound today and everything looks great!  I'm only 2 days behind now, but the doctor is not concerned; heartbeat is very strong and the little baby has grown so much in a week!  We're very excited!  Thank you for your comments and support!
Lisa K
AWESOME NEWS!!!  I am so excited for you!  We have our ultrasound tomorrow and I'm hoping to have great news to share also!  :)
congrats lisa great news :0)
cant wait to hear yuor good news Amy :0)
Whoo hoo!  Let's celebrate.... So happy to hear good news!
Thank you all.

Amy let us know how your ultrasound went.

Lisa K
Congrats!!!!! : )
Am so pleased that everything is ok for you and thank you for your post - I was 7 wks on Monday and went for a scan as I have had 3 miscarriages last year and they said it had a heartbeat but was only the size of 6 wks.  Have been very scared for the last couple of days but your story has filled me with hope!  I have 2 wks to wait for my next scan so fingers crossed!!
Hi Minipocket,

I know the waiting is torture; I definitely was anxious the whole time.  But I think that babies must grow at different rates, right?  Especially this early. The heartbeat is definitely a good sign also.  Did you have IVF?  If not, the date of conception could be off a few days.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!  Please update me once you get your scan!  

Lisa K
I am so happy for you!  I went online to do some research myself and found your post.  I had the exact same thing happen this past Friday.  I should have measured at 7 weeks and measured 6 wks 1 day.  I had an IUI.  The heartbeat was very strong, but my doctor wants me back in one week to check for growth.  She said that there are several reasons why this could be and she is not concerned at this point, just being cautions.  Of course, I am concerned!  I have had two miscarriages and one chemical pregnancy over the last year and a half.  Your situations gives me hope.  I hope my outcome is the same.  I cannot focus on anything else!
i, too, am having the same issue. i went thru ivf. the transfer was done on march 20 w/ two embryos put back. on my first hcg test, my levels showed 686. doc said he was pretty sure both took. the 2nd hcg was only 1585. he said one had miscarried. my 3rd hcg showed levels at 12000!! they rushed me back in for an ultrasound since i had history of tubals. one sac showed in the right place. there was another there but wasn't measuring much...still too early. i went for my 2nd ultrasound today and saw two heartbeats!! i'm very confused, though. one is measuring 8.99 mm @ 6w6d w a heartrate of 136 and the other is measuring 2.95mm @ 5w6d w a heartrate of 114. this has been a complete emotional roller coaster for me. i don't know what to think. doc said there is a chance baby b will catch up but there is also the chance it could miscarry....
I just had my first ultrasound today with the same news! I have to go back in a week. What was your outcome. The doctor used the same language. She said she was "concerned".

Let me know how it worked out for you, please.
Lisa C.