Pregnancy: Oct 2009 Babies Community
Birth Plans

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2009.

Birth Plans

It is way early in the game to start thinking about Birth Plans, I realize. But I've been following this L&D nurse's blog and she mentioned a website that lets you customize your birth plan simply by checking each box that fits what you want. You can also fill in fields if you have something to add.

So I just made my Birth Plan (using the of wisdom the nurse writes about on her blog about unnecessary medical interventions that put women at risk for c-sections and other problems) and I'm quite proud of it. I tried to make it as simple as possible and click as few buttons as possible so it was easy to read and digest.

I never had a Birth Plan with my daughters. I felt weird about it, like I was bossing the nurses around. But the thing is--- they don't know me and can't read my mind. I laid in the bed my entire labor and delivery (both of which were shorter than typical, thankfully). This time I want to be able to move around and not feel strapped down with fetal monitors and IVs when I'm perfectly healthy and don't need the unnecessary interventions (don't get me wrong! I will use them if I NEED them).

So want to make your own? I found it at birthplan.com (very easy to remember!). Bookmark it if you don't want to make yours just yet. Want the nurse's blog to read? It's in my newest journal entry because I probably shouldn't post it on the forum.

And pleeeeease remember that your ideal birth may not going according to plan so don't get upset if your Birth Plan has to be thrown out the window by the doctor. The point is to bring baby into the world as safely as possible!
hmm its a good question. since this is my 1st full term birth i a bit wary of it. i have looked into water birth and looks interesting. i know i don't want and epidural and thats about how far i got :) thanks for the web site. i think this weekend hubby and i will look thu that and perhaps use that to make a bith plan
I was exactly opposite of claire for my first.  the only thing I did know is that I WAS  going to have an epidural.  i told my doc that I did not need a birth plan because I would go along with anythign that they thought was best, but I did want an epidural as soon as I was allowed to have it.  I ended up getting to the hospital too late and was unable to get the epidural...my ONE planned thing!
This time, my birth plan...camp in front of the hospital until they will admit me...no going home this time!!!
You see a crazy pregnant woman being pulled out of a tent infront of a hospital on the news...its me!
I am having a planned c-section because I had one with Gavin.  V-backs are too dangerous.  I don't mind.  It really isn't that scary.  It is neat being awake through the surgery.  
LOL! I'm totally not against epidurals. I had them with both of my girls. I just decided to try something different this time and I'll probably end up screaming for one. I just don't want to lay in bed the whole time, ya know? They have those wonderful jacuzzis and birthing balls but never offered them to me. Now I feel I have more knowledge and power to make choices.

J-MO- Good for you, sweetie! I'm not against elective C-sections either. I have a friend who recently had one and it was the best choice for her. The birth plan that you can make online has a section specificially for C-sections if you want to check it out.