Pregnancy: Oct 2009 Babies Community
doula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2009.

doula

has anyone ever used a doula at the birth of one of your children?  i am thinking about hiring one so that i will have someone there to help coach me through the entire birth.  this is my first child and i am scared to death of the delivery.  i'm not sure if i can afford to hire one yet since insurance doesn't pay for her, but i was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences to share with me
I did not use a doula but my MIL was there during the delivery of my second daughter. She is not a trained doula but she COULD be one. She's that good.

If you can't afford a doula, try to see if there's a friend or relative that could offer you the support you're needing.
When I delivered my son, I had 2 midwives there and their assistant. The one midwife (not my primary) was the best!! She was like my doula through the whole thing. She made me feel like I could go all natural and really reassured me through everything. She will most likely deliver me this time around as my main midwife may be away when I go into labor. Also my mom was there and she was a BIG help! Just having anyone, like a close friend is good enough I think. As long as they coach you along and encourage you and help you relax, you are good to go. My hubby did great for a first time around and even helped me as well.