Pregnancy: Oct 2009 Babies Community
doula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2009.

doula

i am about to leave work to head to my consultation with a doula i want to hire for my delivery.  i am so excited at the thought that i might be able to hire her.  she has a sliding fee, and also runs a program for women to get certified to become doulas.  there fore if i can not afford her she can atleast connect me with one of the 2nd year students that need to attend so many live births for their certification.  a student is only like $50 to cover their gas, where the doula is 300-600. which unfortuantely is alot to us right now, but she said she would be willing to work with me, i am just excited at the thought of having a coach there with us the whole time.  at first i thought my boyfriend might be upset at the thought, but i actually think he is releaved that not all the "pressure" will be on him.
Doulas are awesome. Never had a "real" one but my MIL should become one! She was amazing.

I'd go for the student! They need the experience and you'll be saving money!
A doula sounds great! I had my mom, my husband, the midwife and her 2 assistants at my son's birth. The one assistant/midwife was awesome and was always there to keep me focused. I am pretty sure she will be at this baby's birth to assist or to be the head midwife since my midwife is going away near the end of sept. We'll see.
I would go with the student as well! They need practice and it will be so great to have extra support!
It is hard for me to imagine how the whole thing works out.. during my son's birth it was just me and DH, and I would worry that if there was another person there, either DH or the Doula would be a third wheel.

I'm sure I'm missing the big picture tho.. can someone fill me in..