Pregnancy: Oct 2009 Babies Community
fetal heart monitors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2009.

fetal heart monitors

i was just wondering if anyone has bought a fetal heart monitor from the store and if they really work. and if they do how far along do you have to be before you can hear the heartbeat with it. im 19 weeks. my husband wants to get one but i dont want to waste the money if they dont work! oh and the past couple of days the baby has been moving around like crazy! Last night the baby was moving for an hr straight! It was sooooo amazing!
I didn't buy mine from the store, but got it from storkradio  online. I was renting at first, and then decided to buy it and I'm so glad I did. The kind I have is more like the ones your doc would use at an appt. It's amazing. I first heard this baby's heartbeat at 8 weeks. with my son I didn't buy until I was 16 weeks. My mom bought one from the store I think it was the bebe sounds. It never worked her entire pregnancy. That's why I spent a little more money on something I knew would work. But some people have success with them. If you get it and it doesn't work I'm sure you will be able to return it.

Isn't it amazing when they move?? I'm 20 weeks and I just feel movements here and there during the day and a few at night. I have a pretty quiet baby in there.
yes its is so amazing. mine is pretty calm i guess. but once its starts to move the baby seems to move non stop for an hour! Its so neat!
my cousin gave me a summer prenatal listening system, im now at 19 weeks 2 days but still not able to hear anything on it. it does say to use between 21 - 28 weeks. i would not suggest you but this make if you do buy. but i have learnt not to worry if i cant find the heart beat with is as the midwife always finds a strong heart beat eac time!! i think they just go in at a different angle or something??
x
My grandmother bought me one about a month ago and still am not able to hear anything on it. However, it does say to use closer to the 3 trimester. The nurse practitioner and the Dr. have to push kinda hard with their hand to move the baby up since its so low so they can hear the heartbeat themselves and I am afraid to push that hard so that could also be a reason I haven't heard it yet.