Pregnancy: Oct 2010 Babies Community
Eating peanut buter while pregnant...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2010.

Eating peanut buter while pregnant...

I recently heard that there was a recent study done that stated: Eating a lot of peanut butter while you're pregnant can lead to your child having peanut allergies.

I ate a lot of peanut butter while pregnant with my daughter, and guess what... she's allergic to peanuts! So I guess there may be some truth to this! I don't know about you all... but, I love me some peanut butter but I guess I'll have to really cut down on it :-( bummer!

I am a little nervous cuz I have been eating peanut butter crackers for a snack in between meals... hopefully it wont have any effect!
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think there's more to it than that for sure! People our age don't have peanut allergies (not as many as kids now a days) and I'm sure our mothers ate peanut butter too. Who knows! I think many issues come from processed foods all together!!
I agree, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I ate peanut butter like crazy in my first pregnancy and my son is just fine with it.  I was eating 3-4 PB&J's a day for months, and went through jars of peanut butter.  This time I have not "craved" it yet, but I think I would limit myself this time around, just in case, but not cut it out.

I did, however, cut it out completely while I was nursing.  I was told it's more crucial during nursing and the first few years than while pregnant.
I heard the same info a cocacolapanda  while nursing stay away.
But since i have severe asthma i have been trying to stay clear from it all together .. just on ocasion i have it .
LOL is it bad that after I posted the first time I had a pb and j on toast!?! Sorry....I never liked pb before very much but find it totally yummy lately!!
Something strange I have also heard is sometimes if the baby has an allergy you can get it too while pregnant. For instance this girl I know loves snicker bars and when she was pregnant she would break out in hives and her throat would get swollen if she ate it. Weird right.
I don't think I would worry about that so much. With my son I ate peanut butter and banana sandwiches ALLLLLL the time and he actually loves them too. A lot of kids have peanut allergies for some reason so your daughter might just be one of those random kids.
Yeah... I guess it could just be a random thing! I actually asked my doctor AND another nurse at a different office yesterday about it, and they said that newer studies have said that eating peanut butter while pregnant or nursing may not have anything to do with it at all. ??? I don't know... all I know is that, I love peanut butter and don't plan on cutting out of my diet entirely... but definitely cutting down, and not eating those peanut butter cracker packs anymore... they're not that good for you anyway! :-P

GinaGi- I have asthma too, why do you not eat peanut butter because of that?