Pregnancy: Oct 2010 Babies Community
I feel so guilty!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2010.

I feel so guilty!!

DH and I went to the beach today with another couple and we were out for about 2 hours. I caked on spf 30 sunscreen which is good for me. I went to Jamaica and used spf 15 the whole time and got nothing (last year). The sun doesn't normally get me much. But today my chest and belly bump are pretty burnt.
I feel guilty like I'm hurting my baby or something by letting it get like that. I didn't feel like I was burning up or anything but those are the only spots where I did. I guess being pregnant changes things like that. I just feel bad.
I would sum up the situation as a learning experience. Your skin during pregnancy is very sensitive. Since the baby is inside the sunburn wont hurt anyone but you. So put some aloe on that sunburn kick up your legs and pamper that bump to make yourself feel better. Because baby is just enjoy the motion of your inner ocean! Lol. Hope this helps!
You baby is protected from the sun and UV rays!  But now that your skin is burnt, you may now feel a lot more stretching and every movement can become very painful.  If your burn is really bad there are creams your OB/midwife can give you.  One of my clients burned her belly so bad (fell asleep in the sun for 2 hours unprotected and her family didn't wake her  UGH) that she was given creams and stuff to put on her growing belly.
Thank you ladies. You know...I didn't know until after that as a pregnant woman you are more prone to getting burnt because of the extra blood volume. I was just protected as much as I normally would be. I am usually always sun safe!! I am definitely taking it as a learning experience. My belly bump is not as burnt as my chest...my chest is VERY burnt but that's like the only burnt spot except for this little round spot around my belly button.
I've been lathering the aloe which helps. It's not very painful so thank you. I will make sure I keep hydrated too.
Yeah being pregnant makes your skin more sensitive to the sun because of the hormones.  Don't worry I actually did the same thing.  We spent a Saturday out all day long about 2 weekends ago.  I normally use SPF 30 because I am very fair skinned and burn so easily.  Well I put it on and I must not put it on thick enough because I burned pretty good around my chest area.  I don't think you hurt your baby at all.  I think you will be the only one hurting unfortunatly.  So for this summer my plan is to apply apply apply while I am outside.  I am going to be outside again all day today so we will see what happens.  So jealous you went to the beach!!!!!!!  Have a great weekend.
When I was around 10 weeks I kinda did the same thing, though I didn't get burnt. On the first really nice day, I wen't out for a walk with a friend and my dogs, and I was wearing pants. I totally forgot to bring a bottle of water! I ended up cutting the walk off short, because after awhile I started not feeling so well, and we rushed home and I had a really cold shower. Everything is still fine with the peanut :) So now we agreed that if I'm going to go for a walk, that we should stick to the cooler days or in the evening.
Oh I am sorry. I am sure that you are fine and the reason you used the SPF 30 was to get the best protection but when you are pregnant your skin is definitely more sensitive. I don't think that you should feel badly at all and use aloe and it should be okay in a few days =)