Pregnancy: Oct 2010 Babies Community
Unexpected Home Delivery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2010.

Unexpected Home Delivery

So, my second son was born on October 3rd. He wasn't due until the 14th but came early, just like my first. I recently turned 34 and have an 11 yr. old son. I remarried a few years ago and in January we decided not to use any protection because I didn't think I'd get pregnant so easily. Although, apparently I'm very fertile because it happened just as easily the first time, too. I was in labor with my oldest for only about 5 hours. I figured this baby would come fairly quickly as well and I even joked throughout this whole pregnancy that the baby would either be born at home or in the car on the way to the hospital. Well.... about 3 weeks ago around 3:15 a.m. my water broke and 45 minutes later, I had the sweetest baby boy laying on the bathroom floor between my legs. My husband works on an ambulance (24 hour shifts) and was at work. I was home alone except for my disabled mother-in-law. Thankfully, my older son was away on a camping trip! My husband works in another County and actually beat the ambulance coming from 10 miles away. He made it about 15 minutes after the baby was born and got to cut the cord. Surprisingly, the hardest, most difficult (and most painful!) part was delivering the placenta! I'm all about the epidural but obviously didn't get one this time around and between the afterbirth, the Lidocaine, and the stitches I thought I was going to die. Anyway, I've become addicted to this site (it's awesome!) and I wish I would've found it earlier in my pregnancy. I'm just curious if any of you have had similar experiences. I'd love to hear your story!
WOW!!!
Ya!! Ditto on the wow!! That is sooo quick! Congrats and I'm glad everything turned out fine!
Wow scary! I dont know how you did that on your own! I would never be able to do it. You are one tough lady!
This post amazes, and terrifies me, all at the same time :oD  Congratulations!!  That is incredible!  ... omgosh I hope that doesn't happen to me... I needs my epidural lol ;o)
Haha, yes, brigadiva....I know what you mean about the epidural! I'm a teacher and I live on campus at the school I teach at. I was sooooo thankful this didn't happen during the week at school. Luckily, it was a Sunday. Our local newspaper did a story on it....front page, too! Haha ;)
Congrats on the new baby! And way to be tough! Phenomenal story and truly amazing to hear that you and baby are healthy despite people's belief that the only safe place is the hospital for childbirth!
Wow... what a crazy story!! That's insane, but totally amazing. You're amazing!! So glad everything went okay, and that you were able to deliver a healthy baby all on your own!