Pregnancy: Oct 2012 Babies Community
Vaginal culture?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2012.

Vaginal culture?

At my last OB visit I had a vaginal culture done (21 weeks pregnant). This was the first internal I've had with this dr. I explained that at my last gyn appt 2 years ago, I was STD/STI tested as well as tested for vaginal infections. I've been in a monogamous relationship with my partner for 4 years, my current OB knows this. I have NEVER had an STD/STI, vaginal infection, HPV.  I requested no spec due to past experiences (I was "clipped" on multiple visits by multiple doctors). I do NOT have any symptoms of an STD/STI (discharge, itching, burning, etc). I've had 2 dozen blood tests and 2 thorough urine cultures (1 at the ER due to pain in my right kidney) all came back normal/negative. What was the culture for? My OB did NOT use a speculum (just 1 or 2 fingers), swabbed me and then broke the tips of the 2 swabs into a vial of clear liquid. At one point, I had a sharp spasm in the back of my vag. What was being tested and how (true vag swab or spec-free cervical)? Can a cervical test be done without a speculum?
It might have been to test for strep b and just normal pap stuff. Idk though I would just call the doc and ask just to clear your mind. Gl! :)