Pregnancy: Sep 2009 Babies Community
Very soft cervix? What would cause this at 27 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in September 2009.

So I went to see my midwife today even though my appt is next. I was having some pretty consistent contractions on tuesday night and she wanted to check me to be sure nothing is happening yet. I am 27w 1d. The heartbeat was great at 140bpm and baby is still head down. She said I'm not quite opened yet...but that my cervix is VERY soft. She said she doesn't like to see that happening until 32-37 weeks. So basically I'm on modified bedrest from here on out and no more sex. (Hubby and I actually haven't done it in a week so I know sex didn't cause my contractions on tuesday) Now I need to watch out for pink or bloody discharge, which I haven't had yet, thankfully.  I have been drinking plenty of water, but I need to drink even more now. My son is 30 pounds, so I have to limit how much I pick him up. My lower back has been really sore the last few days and I have slight pressure on my lower belly and every now and then I can feel pressure down yonder. Other than, everything else is good. I am just worried and don't want to go into pre-term labor. My midwife said if I can just get to sept. 1, we will be in good shape. I will be 36 weeks then.

My question is...is a soft cervix the same as effacement? Or is that completely different? I forgot to ask her while I was there. And what would cause it to soften? Thanks!!
I am not sure, but I pray things get better for you. Please take it easy and try to do what your midwife says! I am glad to hear your litle one is doing good!

I don't think it's the same thing. A soft cervix is also called a ripe cervix and I thought that just meant that it could be getting ready to shorten. If she hasn't checked you before this it might just be the way yours is and not a problem at all. I wouldn't stress too much, but def listen to your midwife and watch for preterm symptoms.

Take it easy and keep up with that water!
Thanks ladies! I have been experiencing the contractions again now...ugh! I am laying down with my feet up and drinking water again.
As long as nothing happens over the weekend, I am scheduled to go see the OB that works with my midwife (I go there for my ultrasounds). She is going to check me and see what steps they need to take for this. Strict orders to lay on my side as much as possible and of course drink drink drink. If the contractions are 3-5 min. apart in an hour, then I am to head straight to the hospital.  Otherwise, can't do much. I keep telling baby to wait and it's not time yet!!! I am hoping it's just because this is a 2nd pregnancy and I am just experiencing BH more frequently, but because of the cervix being soft, my midwife is very concerned.
Lots of prayers sweetie. I hope the contrations don't change your cervix. Good luck!
If  im not mistaken, i believe it is the same thing, you may want to ask her bcuz mayb she was using the word soft in a different meaning.  Because words like ripens, soft or cervical thinning refers to effacement.  Basicly your cervix is doing what it is suppose to do to prepare for birth, normally happening in the 34th week of pregnancy.  It dont always mean a person will have a baby soon, a person can be slightly effaced for some weeks.  So that would explain why your on modified bedrest, activity will cause you to have contractions.

Try to rest and i will keep you in my prayers.