Baby sleeping in a laundry hamper??
So my family and I have hit really hard times and unfortunately it's near the end of my pregnancy. Our last living arrangement didn't work out well and so we moved back in with my husbands mother. I had everything for the arrival of our second baby but then we had to leave it all behind. We're starting over fresh and im 36 weeks. My husband just got accepted a job where we're at and he will be getting his first paycheck around the time of my due date so until then we don't have any money at all. We have everything except for a place for the baby to sleep. We brought the crib with us when we left but there's not enough space in the room. My daughter has her pack n play and then our bed and a small walkway to get out of the room. So I had this neet idea I'd turn our laundry basket into a bassinet for the baby. And im wondering if anyone else has done the same?? I was going to use a pillow at the bottom that covers the whole bottom hamper and then put a good fitted sheet on top really tight. This will only be temporary until he gets his first paycheck. So it'll be the baby's first 2 weeks.
I would worry about the pillow being too soft. Is there any way to afford a cheap playpen?
I agree, that's NOT a good idea.  A pillow in a laundry basket is way too soft and won't be safe.  For many generations,  newborns were placed in dresser drawers that were pulled out of the dresser and placed on the floor  and the baby placed on a small quilts or towels that were firm and flat within the drawer.   Is your mother in law not willing to place your baby's crib somewhere else in the home besides your bedroom?
Ah, I love how you are trying to think outside the box. Every heard of a Moses basket?  I had a crib, bassinet, play pen and Moses basket that someone had given me as a shower gift and guess what I used the most for the early days of baby being home?  That basket! was awesome.  I loved it because it was compact, I could carry it around (never put it on anything high though), baby fit just right.  My bestie had one as well and it was our good friend that gave us these at our showers because SHE used one so much.  It looked a lot like a laundry basket.  But it didn't really have a pillow---  it had a flat pad.  There can't be any blankets and such for baby.  I assume you'll put your baby face up, right?  They don't normally roll as tiny infants so stay in position.  (enjoy that while it lasts).  You can always ask your pediatrician about this sleeping arrangement as well.  I did not put either of my sons in the crib until they were about three months.  Second hand stores are really terrific for finding good things for new baby as is Craigs list buy sell trade sites.  I also asked people I knew and got lots of great hand me downs.  Good luck and enjoy this special time!
Oh yes my plan would be to swaddle baby and set her on top of a flat pillow in the hamper. And always on her back. And for the top comment, no we literally have no money until his paycheck so there's no way I can even afford something that's 5$. I do also have a dresser drawer though if that would be better. And there isint any room for the crib. It's a pretty big crib that wont fit anywhere in the house. But it's only the first 2 weeks until he gets his first paycheck.
Can the baby sleep with you and your husband?
Something came up and im actually able to afford to get the baby a place to sleep. Thank you all!
Not a good idea. Do u have a floor swing? A co sleeper that fits in the bed? Can u co-sleep?