Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
25 weeks pregnant w/ twins and cervix is 1.5 cm short

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

Hi All,
I went to have an ultra sound done yesterday and my cervix is at 1.5cm short. 3 weeks ago it was fine at 4.5cm.I am concern since I had a m/c last year at 22 weeks.Now with twins its more critical.The dr. asked me to come back next week so he can check my cervix again and would give me something to help develope the lungs.

Can someone tell me if my babies are able to survive this early???
Here's a link that I think you might find reassuring.
http://uk.*****************/question/index?qid=20090527040606AAHVCBn

So it is possible from what I've read for the twins to survive at 25 weeks.

All my best!!
xoxoxoxoxo
~Rebecca~

Sorry about that,,no idea why the asterisks were inserted.  But there's the link.
Thank you.
Hi. Since your doc sent you home for two weeks, it's really important that you stay off your feet. My cervix shortened from 3-something to 2-something just before 24 weeks & I was sent to labor & delivery for monitoring. They gave me procardia (Niphedipine), which is a med that stops contractions. I was in the hospital for 5 hrs & released homebon modified bedrest, taken off work. A week later I was measured again & my cervix had shortened again. I can't remember the #, but I was sent back to labor & delivery, where I stayed for monitoring for three days. They gave me steroid injections to help my babies if they were to come early. When I was released, I was on strict bedrest. That was 25 weeks & I'm now 32 :) Keeping pressure off your cervix definitely helps. Oh, something else I learned is that dehydration can cause contractions, so drink a lot of water. Also, a full bladder can cause contractions. So, drink water & use the restroom often :) If you have any questions, I'm here :) Best wishes to you & your little ones!
Thank you so much.This really helps.I am just scared because I lost the first one at 22 weeks.I just wished that I cant reach at least 34 weeks to 35 so my babies will be fine.Today I am at 26 weeks,I am just taking it one day at a time.Just praying that all will be ok.
Thank you so much.This really helps.I am just scared because I lost the first one at 22 weeks.I just wished that I can reach at least 34 weeks to 35 so my babies will be fine.Today I am at 26 weeks,I am just taking it one day at a time.Just praying that all will be ok.
I had my twins @ 26 weeks due to my water breaking.. I had been in the hospital prior for 8 weeks for a shorten cervix.. At 18 weeks it was 1.7 and it held until 26 weeks and 3 days with shortening and funneling..I got the steroid shots at 24 weeks. Your babies should be ok..
I am also 22 weeks pregnant with twins and so very scared. I had A LEEP surgery done over 2 yrs ago to remove precacerous cells in my cervix, and so far each time I get checked my cervix has been at 4 and 4.5 cm but I am so scared that I will miscarry and loose my babies. I cannot even enjoy my pregnancy to the fullest due to this fear since it's taken us so much to finally get this far with our first babies. what kind of symptoms did you ladies have?? I freak out everytime I feel pressure or something thinking it's contractions or the babies are coming out...ahhhh this is just terrible, I wish I could shake off this fear but I just can't.
anxious: I'm so happy to hear your babies were born healthy, although early. That's wonderful :)

hopefulmiranda: The best thing is not to worry. Try to stay off your feet as much as possible, to take pressure off your cervix. Yours is a great length, so that's awesome! It's when it gets down to 2.5 & lower that it's worrisome. Mine had dropped to 1.something. I didn't have any symptoms, so I can't share that with you. It was just a routine check. I didn't even know I had dilated to 1! Take it easy & best wishes :)
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers