9 Weeks Pregnant - Only Saw Sac
Hi, I'm really worried. I first tested positive on a Clearblue test on 22nd February 2013, which I believe I must be at least 4 weeks pregnant by then. The urine stick couldn't possibly detect it any earlier, could it? Maybe days, but certainly not weeks earlier. Anyway, my husband and I were both excited because it'd be our first child.

Then on 11th March we went for my first scan, when I should be about 6 weeks along. The gynea did only an abdominal scan, and only saw a tiny sac, like a black dot, and he said I must be about 5 weeks along, and that my dates may have been wrong. So he scheduled me for a second scan for 3 weeks later.

Today, 1st April, 3 weeks later, logically I should be about 9 weeks. Or 8 weeks if any younger. We had an abdominal scan. My sac looked clearly bigger than the first scan. But that was it. An empty sac. A growing sac indeed, but nothing else is seen in there. The gynae said again that I may have gotten my dates wrong, and my sac indicated that I'm about 6 weeks along. Now I know deep inside that this certainly couldn't be true. How could I have a positive urine test on 22nd February (which must've meant I was 3 or 4 weeks) then still be at 6 weeks on 1st April???

I was however really stumped and sad inside, I couldn't mutter a word to the doctor. I didn't mention about the impossibility of being 6 weeks, because I tested positive way back in 22nd February. The doctor just scheduled for another scan for yet another 3 weeks. And maybe he wanted to keep things positive for me, so he said that it's a good sign that the sac is growing. Is this true?

Are there any similar stories that had any miracle outcomes? Could my baby have been hiding somewhere in my sac? Is it possible that some embryo grow way slower than others but still turn out ok? Is it possible for the abdominal ultrasound to wrongly pick up my sac appearing as 6 weeks, when it really is 9 weeks? Will there finally be a baby in my 12th week scan?

I am scared and I cannot stop crying. :( I really want this baby.
HI,
I can understand this can be heart breaking. But you need to keep follow up and only time will tell whether a foetal pole and heart beat will appear. An empty sac usually indicates a blighted ovum and a possible miscarriage. However miracles are possible and hence keep your fingers crossed.
Take care and good luck.