Is a c-section necessary? MC placenta.
I am almost 27 weeks with a monochorionic (MC) placenta. So far so good- my cervix is long and thick, the boys are pretty much the same size- one is 2lbs 8 oz. the other is 2 lbs.. The doctor said he is definitely delivering with a planned c-section at 39 weeks (if I make it that far)  because it is a high risk pregnancy and research shows higher mortality rates and complications for the baby B, in vaginal births. He said there are a few doctors that will still do it vaginally, but in general people don't. He is not a high-risk specialist, however.
I understand that multiples are automatically termed "high risk", but I am young (30- young for NYC to have two babies), in pretty good shape and really wanted to try to have a vaginal delivery. Is it true that most doctors deliver monochorionic twins via c-section? Have other people had a similar experience, did you search out a second opinion? I don't want to change doctors- I like him a lot. I just wonder if it is worth researching.
Thanks!
I am 27 weeks with mono di twins. I have an OB and perinatalogist in charge of my care, and neither of them have told me c sections are preferred. Both prefer to try for a vaginal delivery as long as baby A is head down. My doctor may try to turn baby B if she is breech, but said I could try to deliver her breech if she won't turn and she's not in distress. I will be induced via pitocin at 37 weeks, as long as baby A is head down. My OB told me out of her last four mono di twins, only one had to have a csection.
I would get a second opinion if your wanting a vaginal birth. The fact that almost all dr like csections for mono twins is not true. Now if they are mono mono, that may be a different story, as there is much added risk if they share a sac too.
My twins, though not mono di, were born vaginally without any medical interventions at 39.3 weeks. They are fraternal twins and their  placentas had fused by the time they were born. I know it is not your situation so all I can do is offer words of encouragement.
I would suggest that, if you wish to explore a vaginal birth, you get a second and third opinion. Check into your docs overall c section rate- if his is high then he may prefer c section over natural birth. Maybe you could find a doc that would help you achieve vaginal birth, but would be prepared for the c section should the need arise. Just remember that this is your body, your birth and your decision. Maybe look into hiring a doula to help your voice be heard during delivery. Have you looked into natural c sections? Some women are having baby placed immediately on their chest after delivery and attempt to begin nursing while being sewn up.
Good luck!
My twins shared a placenta- it ended up causing a few issues and I had an amnioreduction (drained fluid) at CHOP (Philly)  they are WONDERFUL!  Anyway- talk to your doctor and tell him/her what your wishes are.  I was a c-section at 33 weeks, but I  had been hospitalized bc I was previa.  There are lots of factors, just make sure everything is explained to you.