Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
Itchy Stomach

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

Itchy Stomach

Hi All,

I am 32 weeks pregnant with twins (boy and girl). My stomach has been itching like crazy. I have tried baby oil, cocoa butter creams, you name it. Is this any suggestions out there for an itchy stomach?
lol you're going to have to live with it. i had the ITCHIEST belly in the world!!! drove me nuts! i was constantly itching it so i started to read up online and it's actually a common occurance for women who are pregnant with multiples. not sure why...but yeah it happens a lot.
You poor thing--my cousin's wife had the same thing with her singleton pregnancy.  Just try to keep lots of moisturizer on your belly...there is not much of a cure.
Wow, that hurt! no cure for an itchy stomach......I am going crazy.
my mom made me wear socks on my hands when i'd start to scratch my belly. lol
I was in the meat section at the grocery store and the lady working there saw me scratching my tummy (somewhat unconciously). "stop scratching" she told me, you'll make stretch marks. She was so adament that I was going to make things worse. It was quite funny. I've been using bio-oil at night and cocoa butter during the day to try to keep things moisturized. I think there isn't much you can do, its just the skins reaction to stretching. Maybe try a soothing bath with something for itching?? And then lube up with the greasiest lotion you've got :)
I think it's common for women pregnant with multiples. I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant with twin girls and my belly itches a lot too. I don't think there is really any cream or stuff that will ease the itching. I guess we just have to deal with it.
my ob prescribed Triamcinolone Acetone cream usp, 0.1%. It worked very well.
Thank you all for your responses. My doctor recommeded me to take some over the counter hydrocortisone (0.1%). It works for about 2-3 hours, then I am back itching. I am also getting little red bumps on my stomach, is this normal? Also, my son is located on the bottom (that's where I am itching the most), will the srcatching harm him in anyway?

Thanks,

April_Baby
I would call the OBGYN if you have started to get a rash and it wasn't there last time you saw them. It may be nothing but I think it is always better to be safe.
Did you just start itching or did you itch from the beginning?  I ask because I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow with twins & I cannot stop itching my stomach and my bbs!  Imagine going for a walk with dh & the dog and feeling the uncontrollable urge to scratch my bbs! LOL ;)  It's good to hear it's normal, but OMG!  I don't know anything about the rash, so I agree.  Just check with your ob & take care! =)
I found an article re: itching & small red bumps.  It appears to be normal :)  Here's the link: (I added spaces so it wouldn't get censored.  Just delete the spaces)

http:/ /www. babycenter. com/0_itchy-skin-during-pregnancy_9450.bc
Thank you all. I spoke with my doctor and it perfectly normal to have the itching and rash. It's called Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP). Although the creams wasn't working, she prescribe an oral medication for me. I started itching around 32 weeks for the first time and I am still itching at 34 weeks. The oral medication did stop me from itching on my stomach but now I am itching even more on my feet, arms, legs, and tighs.
omg itching is popular with twins, I didn't know that. This is my first twin pregnancy and I never had itching with my singles. I am only 7 weeks and it's driving me insane, been itching for a month. My belly did get huge pretty quick, I am an ivf user and have ohss, it looks like I am 5 months pregnant. The thing that works a little bit although i only use it when I get really annoyed is savlon cream. I also find that not scratching but sliding your fingers all over very lightly helps.
I had twins 6months ago boy and girl and had that itch too but got much worse after the twins wore born - nothing worked at all for it
I too got stretch marks with my twins at 32 weeks then came the intense ichies...I used diaper rash ointment and moisterized all I could.  The desitin ointment I figured was safe for the bebies after delivery...why not before.  It keeps the skin moist and didn't rub off on my clothes...just like rash ointment is supposed to be used for!!!
I don't know if I'm pregnant as of yet... but my stomach is itching like crazy rite now. Then i just had this weird almost like contraction pain in my stomach for only a few seconds. What is going on?