Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
Just for moms who have twins already

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

Just for moms who have twins already

I have questions concerns...My doctor has stated that he would like to induce me at 34 weeks due to decreased fluid. Did anyone have their twins around this time give or take a couple weeks? How much time did your babies spend in the NICU and did any health problems short or long term result? Thanks mommies, I'm very nervous!
I delivered my twins at around 31 weeks, but from what the doctors told me, 34 weeks makes a world of difference. If I had made it to 34 weeks, they were going to discharge me home from the hospital and allow me to have my twins, whenever they came, at my local hospital where I had planned on delivering. They said 34 weekers in twins is really considered nearly full term for them and they usually don't have many health issues at that point. Maybe just a few days in the NICU if that.
As you know my twins arent here yet...

But I was curious, how much are they estimating that your twins weigh now?  When is 34 weeks for you?
momoftwins- Thanks for your post!!!  I really appreciate all the feedback from people who have already gone through the delivery process.

Pookie-
My twins are weighing in at 4.9 lbs each and I'll be 34 weeks in 6 days
I had my girls at 33 weeks 6 days and they spend 25 weeks in the NICU as feeders and growers. They both didn't required any help with breathing except for CPAP with room air for only an hour after delivery but were breathing good on their own soon after. They say for every day you keep them inside is three less days in the NICU. I would guess in your case, the environment would be better outside of the womb than in if the fluid gets too low.

Good luck and best wishes!
i had my boys at exactly 34 weeks the only problem they had was jaundice. which wasn't bad. they spent one night in nicu since they had a little problem breathing at first but after that one night they spent the rest of their time either in my room or the nursery. they were only in the hospital for 2 days after i was discharged and that was just so they could be under bili lights a little longer to help with the jaundice. brett weighed 5 lb. 3 oz and eli was 5 lb 13 oz. when they went home brett was 5 lb even and eli was 5 lb 10 oz. they're both now over 20 lbs, cruising, crawling, talking and playing and the healthiest little boys. they've actually passed up normal babies their age in height and are finally catching up in weight.

do you know how much your little guys/gals weigh? my ob told me as long as they're over 5 lbs most doctors don't worry too too much. is your ob giving you the steroid shot to help with their lung development?
My twins were born at 32 weeks.  They spent 1 month in the NICU.  My son didn't need any breathing assistance.  My daughter was intubated for 24 hrs, then had some oxygen support for 1 week.  They were tube fed at first, but started taking some food from bottle/breast at 34 weeks.  Some motor delays the first 7-8 months but they are thriving now at 2 years old.

Most babies develop a sucking reflex between 33-34 weeks, so there is a good chance your little ones will just need a few days to a few weeks in the hospital as feeder/growers.  

I recommend these 2 books for some solid facts on preemies and what to expect.  My sister, who is a pediatrician, gave them to me and I found them very informative.

1 ) The Premature Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Premature Baby from Birth to Age One (Sears, William, Sears Parenting Library)
2)  Preemies: The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies (Dana Wechsler Linden, Emma Trenti Paroli, Mia Wechsler Doron M.D.)

Best of luck to you. I understand the nervous feelings you are having.  It can be exciting yet scary at the same time.  There are many of us who have been where you are now and we are here to support you in whatever ways we can!
my first set were born at 35 weeks exactly and they did not go to NICU - they spent less than 48 hours in the hospital - one was jaundiced and had to go back for blood draws
My twins were born at 36 weeks.  No time in the NICU.  I was put on complete bed rest at 28 weeks due to pre term labor.  I was given a steroid shot at that time to help with lung development in case they were born at that time.  So that may have been the reason there were no breathing problems or anything.
I went the other way and deliver mine over due they were talking about inducing when it finally happened on its own, i felt like a whale by then and actually giving birth felt like i having one too!
my twins were born at 33 weeks 5 days.  one weighed 3 lbs 12 oz and the other was 4 lbs 5 oz.  they were born on june 23 and one came home on july 3 the other came home on july 8.  about a week or two before they were born i had 2 steroid shots to help with their lung development so i don't know how much that effected things.

goodluck
my twins were born at 29weeks and my daughter stayed in for 5weeks and my son was in for 6weeks
they were 3lbs and 4lbs 6oz