Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
Twin pregnancy and the GYNO

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

Twin pregnancy and the GYNO

When you go to a GYNO for multiples, what do they do? Is it all pelvic exams? Or does he do other things? Also, do you think its strange that @ 14 wks my dr didnt get the heart beats? We heard maybe half a heartneat from each baby, but she said they were moving around, and she only tried for like 30 seconds.
FIrst let me start by saying every Ob is different!.  With my OB - he does not do any internal exam until the very very end (after 30 weeks unless their is complaint of contractions)  He examined me at 35 weeks with my twins and I was in labor.  He examined me at 34 weeks with the next set because I was going out of town and we wanted to make sure I was not dilated.
As far as heartbeats - I would not want a doc who did not take the time necessary to put my mind at ease.  If she does not have time for you now - what happens when the babies come?  (that is my opinion though - perhaps you like her in all other ways?)  My doc is SOO  wonderful.  He knew I did not want  a c section - he and his partner scheduled me when they could both be present so that they could do the best to deliver the babies vaginally.  It took 45 grueling minutes to get the second one out (he was larger and breech)  BUT they never gave up - they worked hard.  I expect my doc to give me the time - but thats jjust me
Best of luck
yess i enjoy my family dr very muhc, i was jus over an hr late for my app and backing up her other patients ..ooops. Well, i think the reason she didnt care much was because i ahve already had 2 scans and saw them clearly with 2 strong heartbeats.
my ob did an internal exam every appointment. i went once every 2 weeks for the first trimester. the second trimester was once a week. after 24 weeks until i went into labor i was visiting my wonderful ob 2 x's a week (i dialated 2 cm and was 50% effaced at 24 weeks). i had an u/s done 2 x's a month and stress tests done 2 x's a week after 24 weeks as well. my ob was very particular and EXTREMELY careful with multiples pregnancies. every twinge and cramp he was having me go into the office to check on the boys. (his wife had twins 3 months before i got pregnant with my boys)
At each appt my OB does the hearbeats/cervix check/pee in a cup for proteins/blood pressure. I get an ultrasound monthly. At this point (21 weeks) I am seeing him monthly. But will change to every 2 weeks as I near the 3rd trimester and near the end it will be weekly. He said he always check the cervix because I have also been having a lot of braxton hicks and if it dilates then he will put me on bed rest.

At 14 weeks they were able to hear heartbeats, but this is not always the case and I think depending on how they are positioned it may be more difficult at that stage.

My advice would be it you don't feel that your Dr. is right for you, look for a new one. It is important to feel like your needs are being met. Your health and your babies health is too important.
At every appt. your OB normally checks for heartbeat...  Mine does not do internal exams until 28 weeks unless there is history of complications.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers