Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
Twin pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

Twin pregnancy

I am 12 weeks pregnant with non identical twins. It is my first pregnancy and happened through IVF, so I am very anxious. I had my scan on 1st feb and both babies were fine. The last day or so I have been experiencing sharp stabbing pains in my back , left side low down. They only last a split second and go again, but are very sharp! should I be worried ? did anyone else experience this ?
I've been getting lower back pains this week. I'm also pregnant with twins at 11 and 1/2 weeks. During my other pregnancies (3 full term pregnancies before this IVF pregnancy) I went through the same thing as soon as things started shifting. (weight)  It was explained to me then that any shifts of weight effects the nervs at your lower back and that I would be experiencing the sharp pains.It makes sense,,,by this week, the  uterus has already grown to the size of a grapefruit!  
Good luck!! and Keep me posted, if I find out more I'll be sure to pass it on. :D

~Rebecca~
Thanks a lot for that- it is such a worrying time. I havent had that pain today - but mild cramping all day. I am not in pain - just discomfort. I guess it is everything stretching & especially with 2 x babies.  Did you have this cramping? Am I just analysing everything too much?  
I've had the cramping as well. In fact, its' 2:56 a.m and I just got in from the hospital. At 11p.m I had some spotting (like a light period which settled by 2:00a.m) The ultrasound showed the twins and their lil heart beats flickering away.
We've just gotta face it that our pregnancies w/twins are going to be more enhanced than with singletons.

Hang in there She11y!!
Here if you need me.
Awh I am sure you were beside yourself with worry! but at least you can relax now that you have seen them yourself.
I have had the cramping most of today- but I am not in pain - it is just like period cramping.      It is so hard to get your head round it that it is all normal.   I also have had a pressure feeling quite close to the 'back end' !     I am driving myself mad !!
She11ey, feel free to head to the hospital for an ultrasound, It'll put your mind at ease and you won't be sorry. Better to know things asap then to put them off.

Good luck,
talk to you soon
xoxoxo
It is always better to call your doc immediately about sharp pain and bleeding. Go to doc place or hospital to feel tension free and relax.

With twins we have more blood flow,more stretching everything just gets double. I suggest write down ur symptoms before calling ur doc.

Good Luck

Hi there:  I am 25 weeks and 1 day pregnant with twins and can I just tell you that last week I felt like my lower back was going to split in 2.  On Sat I was in tears so it's all normal.  Usually when I am doing dishes I have to finish quick b/c my lower back will start bothering me again.  It's just the added weight from the belly and for me my boobs too.  I feel my stomach stretching all of the time.  It sounds all good.  Next time u go to the doc just mention your concerns too.  I am always there for something & I feel like a pain but this is my 2nd set of twins and I had some pre-term labor issues last time so I want to be extra careful this time around.  I hope that this helps you.  Good luck and if you need me just look me up.  We r all going down this road together so we could help each other out.  Take care.
I found out this week that the bleeding from last thursday was due to a subchroironic bleed. I'm resting up  for the next week,,and doing another ultrasound today.
subchorionic bleed*
I had same thing ( subchorionic bleed)I bleed off and on till wk 16 and it went away. Now I'm 20 wks and feeling great! I felt terrible until wk 14 from nauea vomiting and back/groin/hip pain.  Zofran helped a lot...
Good luck and hang in there!