Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
Vanishing Twin Syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

Vanishing Twin Syndrome

I am new to the forums. My question is if anybody else has experienced VTS? I knew I was pregnant right at 4 wks. I went for my first ultrasound about 6 wks 3d. I had seen the tech struggle for a heartbeat so I started to panic, enough to the point that she finally showed the screen and announced it was twins and that she was having a hard time getting baby B heartbeat but showed me that the heart was indeed beating. I went to my follow doc appt at 8w 4d and when the doc did abdominal ultrasound the 2 sacs where there but baby B was not visible. Again I started to panic so he had sent me stat to the hospital for another endovag ultrasound. Which all she would show me was baby A and nothing else. My next doc appt is Tues and I will knw nothing more till then. I am heartbroken over it. For those that have been through it. How long did it take to get over the heartbreak of losing one of the twins?
First off I would like to congratulate you on your pregnancy. You never get over losing a child I lost two babies before I had my first one a year ago and know another in September. It took lot's of pray and a good support team. I think about the loss every day but it does become more less painful to deal with. I wish you best of luck and you're not alone and will get threw it.
I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Any baby loss is heartbreaking. I lost one of my twins, but not until much later. She died at 27 weeks but I continued to carry her alongside her sister, until they were both born at 38 weeks.

Know that the pain DOES ease. It takes time, and my advice would be to allow yourself to grieve. Don't worry about what anybody else says. You may even encounter some unhelpful comments such as, "Well you only wanted one baby didn't you?" People don't know what to say and are trying to help and ease your pain. In my experience, the only way to really, truly, deeply do that, is to allow yourself to feel the pain. Cry, scream, punch the pillow, stay inside for a week, do whatever you need to do. It WILL pass. But it will take time. Wishing you much love, and peace. xx
Thank you guys so much. I take it day by day and finding it a little bit easier to deal with and less crying. Now I'm just dealing with kicking the thought that I could lose the other one at any time since I have been fore warned by many many people that multiple pregnancy carries a high risk of miscarriage. I try not to think about it much and just hope for the best!
I am pregnant with my second set of twins and lost my first set. I don't think you ever, "get over it" you just have to move on. In your case you are very lucky to move on with a healthy baby and congrats on your pregnancy. Thelovingparent: if you don't mind me asking did they tell you why the miscarriage occurred at 27 weeks?