Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
twins different sizes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

twins different sizes

Hi, im 27 and this is my 3rd pregnancy i have 2 healthy children. I went for a scan the other day and was told im expecting non-identical twins. a strong heartbeat was seen on both twins. however they measured significantly differnet one measuring 8 weeks 4 days the other measuring 7 weeks 5 days. I was advised about an anencephalic twin and also about vanishing twin syndrome and booked for a re-scan in 3 weeks time.
I have since read about both these conditions on the internet and am greatly concerned. Please can you advise me why I have been warned of these two conditions and the chances of me getting/having them. Also I felt reassured both had a strong heartbeat but now am very worried, does the heartbeat make a difference. Thank you
Hi, a stong heartbeat is always a good sign. If they are fraternal then one could have implanted a little later so could be a little smaller. Try not to think the worst right now. Hopefully your next scan will show two wonderful, healthy babes!
my twins measure different one 14 weeks 1 day and 13 weeks 3 days baby B has always been my little one i was scared at first to but you can look at my pics and see my twins are growing. i tell you being with twins for me is way more stressfull im worried all the time that my next ultrasound one wont be there ugh good luck and congrats on twins
mine were off but I can't remember when it statred
good luck
thanks all for your comments its good to hear some positives after the stuff ive read on the internet!! i have booked myself in for a private ultrasound in a week to check on their progress and dont think i could wait the full three weeks! especially worried about vanishing twin!!
Do not worry I just found out that I am pregnant with twins as well and they are fraternal as well. One of mine is measuring 6w5d and the other 7wks I too am a little nervous but the dr told me that one just had more fluid than the other. My ob told me not toworry about vanishing twin that that usually happens before they see a heartbeat and she said that once a heartbeat is established that it is less likely that vanishing twin will happen. I was scared too and still am.my baby b is the runt and baby a is the bigger twin but that they both looked good. I know that you feel helpless because you are worried and you cannot do anything believe me I am nervous too but just do what I do keep your head upa nd know that god has given you a real gift 2 babies they will be fine i will pray for you and the twins.