Pregnancy and Parenting: Multiples Community
walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pregnancy & Parenting Multiples.

walking

I have a couple concerns reference my OB advice to exercise and walk!! I am currently 20 wks w fraternal twins. This is my 5th pregnancy. (I have 4 girls now) My last 2 pregnancies were pretty bad. Bed rest because of pre-term labor..(last baby we stopped labor at 24 wks, she was born at 34wks) This pregnancy I have already been in hospital twice for contractions..been told to "Rest as much as possible". Two wks ago I was in L&D for contractions and found to have had a UTI. Been given meds and am doing ok. Walking, standing, sitting, etc has been very difficult for me already. There are days where I literally cannot walk because of so much pressure. Last week I had a prenatal visit with my OB, not once did she ask me about how I was doing with meds, or contactions. I told her that it was difficult to walk, etc etc... she actually told me she wants to me to start exercising and wants me to start walking at least 3 days a week. She stated that I am only half way in my pregnancy and it is only going to get worse. (I am measuring 30 wks already) ... I felt like she hadn't even looked at my file!!! She is part of a women's OB clinic so this is only the 2nd time I have seen her. When I first came to this office I told them everything about my history! And for me, I don't think walking is going to be good for me. She doesn't plan on sending me to a specialist (eventhough my last two pregnancies I was already high risk) and she expects me to deliver vaginally (eventhough I bled profusely my last delivery to the point of transfusion!) Maybe I don't know much about twin pregnancy, but  I know my body! And I truly don't believe walking and exercising for me would be very smart. Ive had a premature baby once before, and I need to do everything I can to keep these babies in.. (sorry so long) but my question is... Should I follow Dr's orders and start walking eventhough its painful and Im feeling a lot of pressure after being on my feet for more that 10 minutes... or should I get a second opinion?? I just do not trust my OB and I am just really confused about the whole situation. I don't like confrontation but I just don't see how she could not care for a patient... any suggestions on what to do??
Avatar_dr_f_tn
You should take a second opinion from another gynaecologist. With history of previous preterm labour, previous two high risk pregnancies, history of excessive bleeding which required blood transfusion and now twins in your 5th pregnancy, are all high risk factors and you should ideally deliver in a high risk centre.
Twin pregnancy has the associated risk of preterm birth and excessive bleeding and also you are having contractions. Hence rest, proper healthy diet and prenatal vitamins are advisable. Hope this helps.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.