Pregnancy Expert Forum
Small stomach at 20 and 22 week U/S--possible tracheoesophageal fistul...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Small stomach at 20 and 22 week U/S--possible tracheoesophageal fistula

On my 20 week ultrasound 2 observations stood out. First a variation in the heart that could be normal, but is sometimes associated with Downs Syndrome (I'm forgetting the name) and a small stomach.  I am 42 years old and this is a natural conception with progesterone support for the first 3-and-a-half months. The baby's growth has been on target and my risks for Downs came out less than 1 in 4,000 from the combined sequential genetic blood tests and ultrasound. I did have a subchorionic hematoma in my first trimester, which is now completely resolved. I have had no invasive tests as I do not want even the slightest increase of miscarriage risk.

On the follow up ultrasound at 22 weeks the stomach was still small. I am now scheduled for an ultrasound at 28 wks.  I was told that if there is a tracheoespophageal fistula it would likely be viewable at that time. I have not been given any percentages or normal ranges for stomach size. The fact that the small size was observed twice now concerns me. How often is a small stomach connected to such a problem?  The fistula sounds serious and would require surgery.  How often are small stomachs seen that turn out to be normal?  Is there a time of day that's more likely to be after the fetus has swallowed? At what gestation can normality or defect be confirmed? I still have 5 weeks to wait for the next ultrasound. The perioneonatologist seemed reassured that there was a stomach. I know it is not standard to be observed this closely, so I know my baby is at increased risk.  What are other possible associations with a small stomach? What are possible causes for a small stomach and for a tracheoesophogeal fistula? Could formaldehyde exposure contribute to a possible defect such as this fistula? I was exposed at the end of my first trimester--sleeping on unwashed new sheets 2 nights in a row.

I am hoping that more information and context will help me better deal with the unknown. Thank you.