Pregnancy Expert Forum
Small stomach at 20 and 22 week U/S--possible tracheoesophageal fistul...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Small stomach at 20 and 22 week U/S--possible tracheoesophageal fistula

On my 20 week ultrasound 2 observations stood out. First a variation in the heart that could be normal, but is sometimes associated with Downs Syndrome (I'm forgetting the name) and a small stomach.  I am 42 years old and this is a natural conception with progesterone support for the first 3-and-a-half months. The baby's growth has been on target and my risks for Downs came out less than 1 in 4,000 from the combined sequential genetic blood tests and ultrasound. I did have a subchorionic hematoma in my first trimester, which is now completely resolved. I have had no invasive tests as I do not want even the slightest increase of miscarriage risk.

On the follow up ultrasound at 22 weeks the stomach was still small. I am now scheduled for an ultrasound at 28 wks.  I was told that if there is a tracheoespophageal fistula it would likely be viewable at that time. I have not been given any percentages or normal ranges for stomach size. The fact that the small size was observed twice now concerns me. How often is a small stomach connected to such a problem?  The fistula sounds serious and would require surgery.  How often are small stomachs seen that turn out to be normal?  Is there a time of day that's more likely to be after the fetus has swallowed? At what gestation can normality or defect be confirmed? I still have 5 weeks to wait for the next ultrasound. The perioneonatologist seemed reassured that there was a stomach. I know it is not standard to be observed this closely, so I know my baby is at increased risk.  What are other possible associations with a small stomach? What are possible causes for a small stomach and for a tracheoesophogeal fistula? Could formaldehyde exposure contribute to a possible defect such as this fistula? I was exposed at the end of my first trimester--sleeping on unwashed new sheets 2 nights in a row.

I am hoping that more information and context will help me better deal with the unknown. Thank you.