Pregnancy Expert Forum
3 months since miscarriage.....no period, no pregnancy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

3 months since miscarriage.....no period, no pregnancy

Please help.......I went off of birth control pills January 08 & got pregnant in March of 08. I had a natural miscarriage at 6 weeks. I bled lightly on & off for weeks. June 1st is the last time I bled. I have not had a period since the miscarriage. My OB thinks I am normal & doesn’t want to do anything until December 08. So I have not had a period for 3 months! I want to conceive again now. I am 27 years old & I have a 7 year old son. I have no health issues what so ever. My OB also told me I can ovulate without having a period but strongly recommends I wait till I have 2 normal periods before I try again. I am not pregnant because I have taken many tests. I am frustrated and don't know what to think. I have cramps all the time, but no period! Does anyone have advise?

Related Discussions
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
When you say a natural miscarriage, I am going to assume that you did NOT have a D&C.  For my patients that don't have surgery, I usually tell them to expect a period within 4-8 weeks after the miscarriage.  If my patient had not had her period, and wanted to "try" again, the first thing I would do is try a 5 day course of progesterone (I often use micronized progesterone, but Provera is OK too.) If she still had no bleeding within two weeks of the progesterone therapy, I would strongly consider a trial of clomid or femara to "jump start" her cycle and help get her ovulating again. I personally like femara better than clomid--as it has worked better for my patients.  

If someone has a D&C I do tell them to wait 3 months after the miscarriage, to let the uterus heal, but if there was no surgery--no need to wait.  Eventually you probably will ovulate again on your own, but if you want to speed up the process you could discuss the above with your doctor, be sure and get the scoop on the various risks and benefits of the medicines (pretty minor, overall)!

Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker