Pregnancy Expert Forum
39 first time pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

39 first time pregnancy

My husband and I were trying for a while.  At 39 I'm finally pregnant! We are thrilled. I am 8 weeks along. We now have concerns about genetic testing due to my age.  We have oir first appointment with the Ob.  We just are conserned about the risk of a miscarriage.  Please advise.  Thank you.
Hi!
Your ob doctor can go over all of the options with you at your visit, and ultimately it is a risk/benefit ratio that you have to decide upon for your selves.
If you were my patient, (I had my first child at 40 also), I would discuss the options for several of the newer non-invasive tests such as PAPP-A and hcg blood tests combined with  a transvaginal ultrasound to evaluate the nuchal translucency at 12-13 weeks.  These tests still leave the option open for an amniocentesis at 16-18 weeks should you desire.  I think you might find this interesting, and at least get you started thinking about your questions!
(write them down!) http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/339643/Screening-for-Birth-Defects-in-the-First-Trimester----a-New-Trend
Good luck!
Congrats!
Dr B
All i can say is stop stressing, that is worse for the baby than anything!
Take prenatal vitamins, watch what u eat. Like pp relax, go to every appointment, drink plenty of water and u should be fine
I'm in my 20's and still had all the genetic testing done, not that i was concerned but i just wanted to be extra sure. The great thing is these days doctors can almost always detect problems via ultrasound. The tests I did were all done through blood work and ultrasound and now at 23 weeks pregnant, the doctors say the baby looks perfect. Also, my friend just had her daughter at 40 and everything was perfect! So relax aand enjoy mama!
Thank you everyone.  We had our first appointment and ultrasound.  Everything is great and on target.  As the tech said, "Your gummy bear looks great!"
Glad ur appt went great. Stay positive and stress free. I am 41 and 17 wks 4 days w#2. I understand ur concerns. Happy preggers!
Congrats