Pregnancy Expert Forum
41 weeks - NST but no AFI - talking inducement

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

I am 41 weeks pregnant today.  The doctor ordered a non stress test (NST). According to the tech, everything looks fine.  They seemed surprised that the doctor did not order an ultrasound to check my amniotic fluids.  Is this normal?

An aside - I am confident that I conceived on day 21 of my cycle.  When my due date was set by the doctor's office, they used the LMP (last menstrual period) date method, which seems to assume I conceived on day 14, which I did not.  So they are already talking about inducing labor.  Shouldn't my 41 weeks be different from someone who conceived at the average time?  Wouldn't this affect my due date?
Hi!
I hope you have already delivered by now!  It is usual to order an AFI in conjunction with the NST when someone is postterm.  Although if the NST looked good, it is very likely that your fluid is fine.  The due date is a best estimate of when someone is due based upon all the clinical evidence put together.  We use the first day of the last period, plus the ultrasound to figure out a due date.  ANY date we give can be off by up to 1-2 weeks.
If you were my patient, I would be talking about inducing too.  There is pretty good evidence to suggest that going beyond 41 weeks is not good for the baby.  Even if you dates are off by a few days, no matter how you figure it, you are overdue.
If you declined to be induced, I would follow you with NSTs twice weekly, and AFIs with each NST.  I would continue to nag at you to get induced too!
Good luck! And congratulations in advance!
Dr B
Yes, it might. With my daughter, she was due May 28th. They scheduled me to be induced June 4...and you know what happened? She came all by herself on June 2 in the wee hours of the morning. The baby will come when he or she is ready.
i also hope u had the baby by now but if u haven't i really don't mind induction. usually u only need to be induced once when your over due. i've been induced starting at 36 weeks before and thats ugly cause baby is not usually ready to be out so it takes multiple trys, but i've never ended up in c section cause of it. good luck and congratulations!