Pregnancy Expert Forum
4th c-section

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

4th c-section
i would like to know if this pregnancy will be high risk and if there are (or could be) more serious complications during surgery with a 4th c-section and during recovery.  this c-section will end up being 15 months from the last and i'm a little scared!  my first prenatal visit isn't until next monday and i would just like to hear an answer from someone!  my LMP was 9-13 so i should be about 6 wks i think.  

Short interval pregnancies may carry a greater risk of having a preterm delivery or low birth weight baby.  Also, women who are trying to have a vaginal delivery after a cesarean, may be at an increased risk of uterine rupture (you would not be a candidate for this).  However, some of these associations are all together clear.  

Having had multiple prior cesareans does put you at risk for having what is called a placenta previa (the placenta completely or partially covers the cervix) and/or a placenta accreta (the placenta invades into the uterine wall).  The surgical risks of having a 4th cesarean are that the surgery is often more difficult and takes longer.  Your have a greater risk of having another organ (such as the bladder, bowels) injured inadvertantly.  If you were to have a previa or accreta you would likely (not definitely) require a hysterectomy.  All of these issues should be reviewed with you over the course of your prenatal visits.  

Best wishes,

Dr. Downing
you should be fine. i have known sevral perple who had sevral c-cections and done fine. i will be having my 3rd c-cection and they said i probably be fine having more, just try to wait longer inbetween.  (july/25/08) : ) keep me posted
thanks...  i'm sure everything will be fine...  but there's always the questions of "what if" that haunt me!  i've already been blessed w/ 3 beautiful girls so i know i will be blessed w/ a 4th!!!  i will post updates in the pregnancy under 34 forum & the maternal and child forum as my pregnancy progresses.  i love the support on this website!!!
i know how that "what if " goes. its what makes us good mommys, we worry from the start, lol. when is yours due?
I have a question I had my little girl in April 2006 and I had a c-section.
I am now about 8 weeks pregnant and I am wondering what are the
chances that I could have a vaginal birth. The doctor that I am wanting to go
attend myself at does not do that he said that if I had a c-section once it
would be another c-section. What do you advice?
if you only had one c/c then you should be able to go on a trail of labor. my sister had one c/c and the other ntr and she was fine. do you know the reason of your last c/c?
A related discussion, Pre-pregnancy was started.
A related discussion, want a nother baby but would be my 4 c section was started.