Pregnancy Expert Forum
5 1/2 weeks pregnant, pressure left side abdoman

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

I'm five and a half weeks pregnant (and super excited).  I've been experiencing a pretty consistent pressure on the left side of my abdomen, in the middle, for the past few days. It isn't painful, I'm not cramping or bleeding, its just - very much there. I am high risk for ectopic pregnancy, and I'm freaking out that's what it might be. My doc said not to worry (in a quick email), but I don't have an u/s for another two weeks, and of course, I am worrying. If it's just my uterus expanding, why would it only be on one side? Any thoughts or reassurance?
Tags: Pregnancy, pressure, abdomen, computers
Hi!
Very often (almost always in fact) pregnancy causes the bowels to slow down.  The pressure on the left side is likely to be your colon.  Increasing your fibre and fluid could help to ease the problem.  Of course, if you are at risk for an ectopic pregnancy, you must be extremely careful.  If you were my patient, I might consider following the beta hcg levels and also a progesterone level, because those tests can determine how likely it is that the pregnancy is normal or tubal.
Good luck!
Dr B
If there is no bleeding or cramping you shouldn't be worrying. I had strong pains around 5th week. Now I'm 10wks and everything is better. From time to time I feel small pain and tenderness on one or other side. But doc said its fine.
Good luck and keep us updated
I am actually having the same issue, left side pain. I went in last week for an ultrasound and Dr coud not see nothing yet.. I believe I am about 5 or 6 wks
i went to the dr saturday and was told im & weeks and theres no fetal pole or heartbeat.. im so scared i just dont no what to expect
An update:

The pressure eased up, although I still felt more "things" on the left side. Then, at 6 weeks, I experienced two hours of intense stomach pain, and after that, it seemed like my pregnancy symptoms disappeared. I went for an ultrasound, and the 6 week pregnancy is showing at 4 weeks (tiny sac, no heartbeat etc) - although it is not ectopic. I had my first spotting that evening. I go for another ultrasound in a few days, but its hard to feel optimistic.