Pregnancy Expert Forum
6-7 Weeks pregnant and sharp abdominal cramping

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

My wife is 7 weeks pregnant and she is experiencing sharp abdominal cramping where her ovaries are (both sides). The pain shoots down the pelvic and ONLY when she is laying down it shoots up to her shoulder, spinal cord, and her lower back. I asked her from 1-10 describe how bad it feels, she said it starts out as a 7 for just 3 seconds, then goes down to a 5, and from there keeps going down. Usually only lasts about 3-5minutes. Happens Every other day, usually when she is stressed or crying, and when it does happen it only happens once a day. Could this be a "threatened miscarriage", UTI, or is it normal because of the uterus growing?

If she is not bleeding it is not a threatened abortion (miscarriage).  I'd have her seen by her ob/gyn or midwife.  It all may be due to the changes of pregnancy to the pelvic support structures and expanding uterus, but often these sort of symptoms are hard to pin down.  Have her use Tylenol and heating pads in the meantime.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I also forgot to add that she had an ultrasound and it is growing in the uterus not in the fallopian tubes, so I guess that rules out ectopic pregnancy
Thanks for the answer, I guess that physician in the ER that diagnosed her with a "threatened miscarriage" needs to do some more research before diagnosing people with things that may not be true. The cramps only happen every other day and are not followed by bleeding at all.

Another concern of mine with her was that every time she eats, she vomits. She cannot keep any food down because she is constantly vomiting EVERYTHING she eats or drinks. I'm concerned that she is not getting all the nutrients she needs because of this. That same physician prescribed her Meclizine or something similar for vomiting, is this safe to take? Any tips that I can give her that may help control the vomiting?

She was also given other antibiotics for a possible UTI, are they safe to take during pregnancy as well? I know the label says that it passes onto the breast milk and to consult a doctor about the risks before taking it.
I know that alot of times you will get sharp pains when you are pregnant from the muscles around the uterus streching. I have 3 children all extremely high risk total bedrest with all of them. An idea as far as throwing up... just my experience... is to slowly munch on ginger cookies.  They sell them in the baby section of the grocery store. Eat tiny amounts all the time. My morning sickness was always worse when i didnt eat for a period of time and then ate. I think it is webmd that has a medication guide if you want more information on the medicine.  I know UTI meds are common during pregnancy.  As far as a so called threatened misscarriage...It takes tests and measurements of the baby and sonograms/ultrasounds to find out IF in fact it IS a possible miscarriage.  ER doc are just that they arent OBs so take what they say with a grain assult. Good luck
Ok, I know what your wife is going through. I'm am constantly sick this time around. Don't listen to the ER they put sh*t in your head and make you stress which in return can cause a miscarriage. As for the cramping, I have it too. My OB told me take Tylenol X-tra strength two of them every two hours. Mine are starting to go away. How far is she? For being sick, I eat toast as soon as I wake in the morning, it soaks up the acid in your stomach. Coke if she can stand it, usaully the syrup in it settles your stomach. Works wonders on me. Saletine crackers also. Tell her to relax don't stress it causes more problems. If it's not getting better I'd talk to her OB. Mine told me all this and it works great. I might eat toast 10 times a day but I can eat. Make srue she takes her prenatal vitamins it'll help with her nutrition. After the first trimester is over (12 wks) she should start feeling better they say the worst of it is over. Let me know if this helps. I go to my OB Thursday any other questions I can try and help you.
A related discussion, 12 weeks pregnant lower cramps and back pain was started.