Pregnancy Expert Forum
Always thirsty
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Always thirsty

I am 6 weeks pregnant and I am always thirsty. Is this normal and how do I stay quenched?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that this is not uncommon in the first trimester of pregnancy.  I might be tempted to check a blood glucose level (if you have any personal or family history that puts you at risk for diabetes) but otherwise, I would just advise you to keep a water bottle handy and stay close to the ladies' room!
Good luck!
Dr B
9 Comments
Blank
Yes it is normal I am constantly thirsty i am 28weeks now, I think it's a mixture of change in body temperature, more frequent urinating and foetus needing fluid for growth and amniotic fluid. I would still ask doctors or midwife though just in case
Blank
I'm 17 weeks and just getting over being thirsty all the time. My husband thought I was crazy and I felt so bad for the waitress when we went out to eat going through so many waters. :/ oops. Haha
Blank
I am around six weeks as well and cant get enough water. I seriously drink cup after cup of ice water and still wake up dying of thirst.
Blank
Im very thirty too. And even lip skin breaking (7/8) weeks but my issue is i cant stand water :( unless im eating something and vomiting acid just started on week 5 (iiuk). Wish could drink a lot like u girls
Blank
I'm 33 weeks n been thirsty my entire pregnancy
Blank
Are you avoiding caffeine?  Too much is not recommended during pregnancy, anyway, but it can also cause dehydration.  Otherwise, you're fine.  If you hate water, like I do, stock up on some water flavorings, like Mio or the ones from Crystal Light.
Blank
So im only like 3weeks maybe 4 n i get thirsty alot n my breath stinks alot more... I never had stinky breath y is that??
Blank
im sooooo thirsty all the time.. i got off of bc a month ago and its 6 days until i am supposed to start..i also am very tired and  bloated, i feel like a whale.. I dont know if this is normal or if im overreacting or what....anyone else have these issues when they were pregnant?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now