Pregnancy Expert Forum
Asthma and Pregnancy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Asthma and Pregnancy

I am 20 weeks pregnant.  Two weeks ago I caught a bad cold.  (My two-year old started day care last month and has so far brought home a disproportionate amount of bugs.)  One week ago I was still fairly beaten down by this cold but could tell I was slowly improving...and then out of nowhere I came down with flu-like symptoms.  I'm not assuming the cold and flu (if it was indeed the flu) were related; I just think I got hit with two separate viruses in close succession.  Regardless, I had a moderately high temperature and severe chills and body aches.  My fever only lasted one night, and the chills and body aches were gone within 24 hours.  What has remained is a bad case of asthma accompanied by a hacking cough.  I have had asthma since childhood (I am 31 years old), and I manage it with ease using Advair 250/50 once a day.  Only on very rare occasion do I need to use my albuterol.  For the past week that I have been suffering with this asthma, I have upped my Advair to twice a day, and I have been using my albuterol throughout the day.  Even then, I still feel constant tightness in my chest and shortness of breath.  My concern is about my unborn baby.  Have a harmed her for going this long without doing something more?  If so, what damage might I have done?  Also, what can I do from here on out?  If I were not pregnant, I would put up with the asthma until this virus completely cleared my body.  But I'm worried about my baby.  And I've become paranoid that I possibly have walking pneumonia.  Thank you in advance for your response.