Pregnancy Expert Forum
Ativan during pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Ativan during pregnancy

I want to have a child. I have panic disorder with agoraphobia and I am on 2 mg of Ativan daily. The ativan is the only thing that helps me have a semi normal life and I have been on it for over 10 years now. Is it possible to continue taking the ativan if I decide to try to get pregnant?
Hi!
IF you were my patient, I would have to advise you that Ativan is a pregnancy category D medication.  Thatclassification indicates that there is positive evidence of risk to the baby.  The biggest concern would be that the baby would suffer withdrawl (withdrawal) at birth.  Withdrawl (withdrawal) from the benzodiazepines is notoriously prolonged and difficult, and there is some evidence to suggest that the medications permanently change the users brain chemistry.
I would strongly encourage you to schedule a visit with a specialist for pre-conception counseling so that you can get information about all the options!
Good luck!
Dr B
Ask your dr what class of medicine ativan is.  A and Bs are safe.  My meds that I have to take are a C with mild risks. I would guess Ativan falls in one of those three.  Every higher letter has more risks than the one before.  Ultimately the choice and risks are yours to take.