Pregnancy Expert Forum
Baraclude & Pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Baraclude & Pregnancy

My husband is a chronic hepatitis B carrier.  He is taking baraclude on long term basis.  Can we have kids while he is taking baraclud? Thank you.
Hi!
Since He is the one taking it, I don't think there is any contraindication to pregnancy.
I couldn't find any information about effects on the sperm count.  The sperm themselves should be normal, so the embryo should also be normal (with ANY pregnancy there is of course a small risk of birth defects).
I assume that you have been vaccinated against Hep A and B, or are known to be immune.  If you do have a baby, the baby should be  vaccinated as soon as he/she is old enough too. (I think that is pretty standard in most states).
There shouldn't be any increased risk of birth defects since you are the one carrying the child.
I hope this is useful information!
Dr B
1 Comment
I am in the same situation now and was wondering if you had any problems.