Pregnancy Expert Forum
Bleeding at 12 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Bleeding at 12 weeks

I am 12weeks, 1 day.  I have had a brown discharge since week 7.  I was told by the nurse practioner that it was old blood and part of impantation bleeding.  The amount was small and did not require a panty liner.  It was only visible when I wiped.  I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks and saw the heartbeat.  Yesterday at 12 weeks I bled fresh blood and had slight cramping.  The amount was enough to require a sanitary pad but I did not soak it through.  The bleeding is still there today, enought to require a panty liner.  Today is Sunday and I do not want to go to an ER.  I will call my provider tomorrow.  If its not a miscarriage what else could it be.  

Bleeding in the first trimester is very common, occurring in 20-40% of women.  It is likely you have developed what is called a sub-chorionic hematoma.  This is a very common finding and it is uncommon for pregnancy loss to occur following uterine bleeding in early pregnancy, even after repeated episodes or large amounts of bleeding. In fact, 90 to 96 percent of pregnancies with both fetal heart activity and vaginal bleeding at 7 to 11 weeks of gestation will result in an ongoing pregnancy, with the higher success rate occurring at the later gestational ages.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
i have a subchronic hemmorag and i am not bleeding externally and i am having cramps right by my hip bones and up in my ribs sumtimes and sumtimes i have very slight cramps in my vaginal area