Pregnancy Expert Forum
Can I get pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Can I get pregnant

I am 20 years old and for the past lets say two years I have had very irregular periods I will go months onto months without having one. I am not on any kind of pill. About a year ago I went to the clinic and the doctor there told me everything looked fine but it must be stress related, but for this long how can that be. Since you know a little about the situation here is the question- My boyfriend and I are trying to conceive and I am scared that I won't be able to. Can anyone relate/help me?  can you ovulate without having a period?
Hi!
You may have some difficulty conceiving.  Irregular periods is a sign of irregular ovulation.
If you don't ovulate, you won't conceive.  It sounds like you have PCOS.  Poly cycstic Ovary Syndrome is a catch all phrase for  an imbalance in the hormones.
A couple of really wonderful drugs for PCOS include Metformin and Femara.
If you are not in a big rush to have a baby (you're only 20!) you can wait and see what happens.  Very likely you will eventually get pregnant.  If you are in a hurry--you may want to get an appointment with your Ob/gyn doctor for some hormone testing and some medications to help you ovulate.
I hope this helps!
Dr B
Thank you for the answer Dr.B!!!  I looked it up and I noticed I did have some of the symptoms such as weight gain; I have gained at least 10-15 pounds in the last 6 months and it is particularly in the waist. The last time I was at the doctors she said I had high blood pressure also i have been getting acne  more than usual. i never put all these things together. I really hope this is not the case and this can get fixed easily. I do not have insurance so I wonder if the health clinic can do it. I am making an apt for Monday. It is not I am in a rush but I have always seen myself with kids at some point.
this was helpful for me because my feiance and i have been talking and trying to have a baby, i have usually regular periods but i do have cyst and i have not been able to get pregnate, i wiL ASK MY DOCTOR about metifourm and femara, to see if that may help me. How did it go for you? Do u have any other advice?
Just to let you know I am 23 had very irregular peroids after getting off of depo over a year ago, as in i had a period every day for 7 months then nothing for several months. my doctor put me on the progesterin challange, which started a period and then I turned up pregnant right after that. The provera challenge is to see if everything is connected and to check the levels of estrogen to make sure you are producing enough, if you get a period your fine, if not your hormones are probably out of wack.
I was off bc for 5 months having sex every day and never got pregnant so Im worried I also might have some problems. I just stopped taking my bc on thursday and we are now ttc. Well see if I can without any meds. I think Ill wait till next summer maybe to get some thing to help me along if Im not pregnant by then.
I am 25 and I suffer from very rare periods as well I could not get a period unless it was induced by bc I went a year and a half with out even one period.. I got pregnant after ttc that long.. So I know you can ovulate still without periods.. But I know after trips to the dr that lots of things can prevent periods and you should get it checked out!!!  
I am 27 y/o and I have PCOS.  I would go up to 7 months at a time without getting my period.  When I was finally diagnosed with PCOS about 6 months ago, I was told that it would be extremely hard to get pregnant without treatment.  I cried for about 2 weeks...  it was really devastating!  I thought I would never have kids.  However, 2 months later I  missed my period and didn't think much of it.  But then I started getting all the symptoms, and I am now 19 weeks pregnant!  So like Dr. Brown said, give it time!  You are still so young, it took me until I was 27 and happened all on its own!  Good luck, God bless!
What is tcc? I went to the help dept and she also said I may have pcos and they birth control will help, which is true it does give me periods but when I am off it I don't have them. So there has to be something more and I want a real answer you know because what if its more and I never find out and in the long run i don't have kids. I have made an appointment at another doctors at the end of the month so hopefully they will figure it out soon.