Pregnancy Expert Forum
Can you have periods and be pregnant? WORRIED!! :(

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Hi, first off, thank you for your input.

I had mistakable, drunken, unprotected sexual intercourse with a girl who is my friend in early July, so it's been about 2 1/2 - 3 months or so since then. I am so worried about pregnancy and definitely DON'T want that, also with her, sorry. She told me she took some birth control pill which I believe was a few days or so after and I have asked her about 3 times or more and she said she's NOT pregnant (not sure if she's taken a pregnancy test), but I'm still worried.

She's getting very irritated at me because I keep asking because I just can't get over thinking about this. She said she's had like 5 periods (probably exaggerating), so does her having periods mean she's NOT pregnant?

I've read that women can have their periods while pregnant, is that true?
Can you be pregnant for 3 months and not know?

I'm in another relationship now that I would never want to mess up, that's why I'm so stressing about this.

What should I do??? :(

Please advise, thank you Dr.
Hi!
If you two were patients of mine, I would reassure you that she is telling the truth.  She probably took the "morning after pill" which was very responsible of her.  If taken within 120 hours or less of the "encounter" it is quite effective in preventing pregnancy.  If she is having regular periods, then she is not pregnant. I would suggest that you two remain friends and that you enjoy your new relationship.
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you for your response!

I've read that women can have their periods and still be pregnant, but you said if she's having regular periods, then she is not pregnant?

Is the first thing I said a "myth"?

Thanks again!
Thank you for your response!

Is the first thing I said a "myth"?

Thanks again!
I am 3 months pregnant now baby due April 22 13 n i have had a period every month since conceiving all normal periods as well so it's definitely true!! we found out we were pregnant because i was getting sick all the time so i decided to take a test and sure enough i was.....so yes she can have regular periods n still be pregnant
thank you for your response.

everything was normal for you? when did you start getting sick?

the doctor above said if she is having her regular periods then she is NOT pregnant. ?
sounds like the doctor would know the best?

What is your take on the situation?
If she says she's not pregnant then she's probably telling the truth. U shouldn't worry unless u notice she has a big pregnant looking tummy in the next few months.
if you talk to your friend regularly and have noticed there is no change in appearance, or mood patterns prolly not pregnant.  
thanks for the input
No, it is absolutely not possible to have a menstrual cycle while pregnant. Menstrual cycles are the shedding of the lining of the uterus, which does not happen when you have a healthy pregnancy. Some bleeding CAN happen, however, but it is quite rare. If she says she's had her periods,  i would not be worried.