Pregnancy Expert Forum
Could I be pregnant if I take a pill 9 hours late?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

I've been on Loestrin 24Fe, for about a year now.  This month, after my period last month (which was normal) my boyfriend and I stopped using condoms.  So it's the first week of my cycle.  On Sunday, I took the pill at 1 AM Sunday morning.  On Monday, I did the same thing.  (I had sex twice on Sunday and Monday during the daytime).  Then, on Tuesday, I forgot to take it at 1 AM Tuesday morning, and instead I took it at 10:30 AM Tuesday morning.  I didn't miss 24 hours, just 9 hours.  But I'm still worried.  My pharmacist and the insert for the birth control says I do not need to use  a condom today at all, but I called the nurse at the gynecologist's office and she says that not only do I have to use a condom today, but I have to use a condom all month, because I "broke the cycle".  Who is right?  I'm really scared and I don't know what to do.  So my questions are:

1.) When do I have to use a condom?  Do I have to use one not at all, today, all month, etc?
2.) Is there a higher chance that I am already pregnant?  Within the 9 hours that I missed the pill I did not have sex at all.

Thank you!
Tags: pills
Hi!
Its NEVER Wrong to use condoms--they ALWAYS provide a little extra security!
So it is possible that this is why the nurse told you to do that--they are always super extra cautious on the call in lines!

If my patient asked me this question, I would tell her--You are probably OK. I usually don't recommend using a back up method unless there has been more than one missed pill in the cycle.  When I do recommend a back up, I recommend it for the duration of the cycle.

So, I doubt you are pregnant, and I would suspect you can get away without using condoms, but there are no guarantees in this business, so it never hurts to take a test (definitely do if you miss your period!) I DON"T recommend stopping pills ever unless the pregnancy test is positive--that will only mess you up for next cycle!

Hope this helps!

Dr B
I should point out I also spoke to a registered nurse at the 1-800 number listed on the package of pills and he said that I do not need to use condoms this month.
Avatar n tn
no idea me and my gf are having the exact same problem although we had sex yesterday and she was about 10:30 off...
Avatar n tn
ten and a half hours off her regular time she takes the pill that is sorry didnt know if that made any sense