Pregnancy Expert Forum
Dark Brown Spotting in Early Pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Dark Brown Spotting in Early Pregnancy

I have dark brown spotting since 12dpo. It is pantyliner spotting-not anything heavy. I tested positive on 14dpo (5 days ago). I am still spotting. It has not got heavier. I see my Dr on Wed, but i am going crazy as this is my third pregnancy, the first two ended in miscarriage after similar dark brown spotting, at 8 weeks(blighted ovum) and 6 weeks. Any success stories that include spotting for this length of time?? Apart from slightly swollen breasts, I don't feel pregnant at all.
I am 8w5d, and have been spotting since cd21.  It is brown discharge.  On two occasssions, I have had a bright red spot.  I have had blood work, and 2 u/s...
Everything is perfectly normal.  The dr. cannot find any reason for the spotting...but all is well.  

I know how you feel...This is my first pregnancy after m/c last Sept.  I do have 2 healthy children.  I did have brown spotting from wk 4-7 when I was pg with my daughter...she is now 5, and perfect.

At your point, it is normal to have some spotting as a result of implantation bleeding.  Dark brown just signifies that it is old blood.  Unfortunately, you just have to join the waiting game...like the rest of us!
with 2 of my PGs i spotted anywhere from pink to dark pink on and off til 25 wks. my dr said  of course always call when there's any bleeding but not to get too worried unless it becomes heavy. both those PGs went full term and gave me beautful healthy lil boys.
Thankyou. It is really nice to hear some positive experiences.  Fingers crossed for us all.  
UPDATE - Thought I would send an update for others that may use this site for information. Blood test on Wed afternoon - HCG levels 2200, another this morning (Fri)HCG levels 3350.  The Dr has booked me in for a scan in 10 days time.  Nothing to do now but wait....what a horrible 10 days this will be.  Take care and I will update after the scan (good or bad)
Wishing you the best....I have a scan on Monday.  
Terrified.  I have been spotting for the past 2 weeks...
All my thoughts are with you for Monday.  Hopefully you will give us some good news.  How often have they been giving you u/s? Is this your third?  Is that because of the spotting? Do you get more regular u/s if you are spotting?  That is a good thing, but still I wonder when can you actually stop worrying and start to enjoy being pregnant?? Fingers crossed for Monday
Thanks for the good luck.  My dr. is doing a u/s every 2 weeks for my peace of mind only...free of charge.  I'm freaked out, because I m/c in Sept. 06, and he is just really kind.  I still 'feel' pregnant, so I am remaining hopeful.  I don't know why I'm spotting.  I thank God for the two kids I have!!  I'll update you on Monday afternoon!
Any good news yet from your scan?
Sorry I'm late.
Yes, great news!  Saw the baby, and the heart beat.  He even moved my DD up another day....so, now I'm due 10-3.
I stopped spotting for 2 days, and then started again after the u/s...which the cervix could be irritated.
Growth looks really good, and I'm not feeling too bad either.  

How are you doing with the 'wait'?  
It is sooooo difficult.  I had to wait 2 weeks, w/spotting for an u/s last month.  It was gruelling.  Time will pass, and it will get here!  
How do you feel?
Have you seen anymore spotting?
That is really great news. You must be feeling a lot more positive now. Has that made it a little easier on you or are you still concerned? I am pretty negative at this stage.  I am still spotting (dark brown)regularly, each time I go to the toilet and on a panty liner.  It seems to be a little heavier the last week than it has been, and even looks like it has some tissue or something in it occassionally.  It has been over two weeks for me now, so I have kind of lost hope a little bit.  I guess it isn't over til that scan on Tues, but I still don't feel pregnant at all so my confidence is pretty low.  I just would really like to know either way so I can deal with it and move on. Still have my fingers crossed.   I will keep you updated.
I understand just wanting to know.  The waiting game is so freaking tortureous, that your just looking for an answer.  If you were m/c, then I feel that you very well would see red blood by now.  I know how you feel.  I expected to see the dr and schedule a d&c, not get a due date.  You very well may be 'surprised'.  I had brown spotting for several consecutive weeks.  Take care, and update when you have a chance! :0)
I am 7W5D pregnant w/ my 1st child.  I have been having spotting since Day 1.  It's really scary!  They also put me on 2 forms of progesterone and 1 form of estrogen to helpt raise my levels.  It also didn't help that my Hcg levels were low to begin w/ and I had to keep retesting every 3 days.  The waiting period is torture.  Last Thursday I passed 2 clots in the middle of the night, what a scare that was!  I called the Dr's and they told me to sit tight but if it started flowing to follow up w/ them again.  It continued back to mild spotting throughout the day.  Last Monday, I went in for my U/S and actually saw my baby's heart beating!  It was the best feeling. I'm due back again next Monday for another U/S to make sure that the baby is growing.  My sister had heavy bleeding during her first trimester and my neice was born perfectly fine!  I hope and pray that you'll be okay!
Thanks guys, it is really nice to know that others know how you are feeling.  It is hard to concentrate on anything except what is going on with your body, so it is nice to have these forums available to chat with other people in the same boat. My Dr didn't even suggest prog. or est. supplements, is that unusual? It seems such a long time until my scan on Tues, I am really hoping to see that heartbeat, I think that will make me feel a little better.  I just have to keep trying to think positive.  I wish I would get some pregnancy symptoms....I don't even mind a bit of sickness, that would make me feel a little more positive.  Please keep me updated on how you are progressing
Almost always, when they test hcg, they also test your progesterone level.  IF your results were 'normal', than no, your dr. wouldn't put you on progesterone, which is the hormone used to maintain pregnancy....
Can't wait to hear from you on Tues, only 4 more sleeps!
hey i have sum brown spottin to but its not heavy at all its a little spect. i don no if am pregnant or not but i more than certain tink i am because my period is 2days late and my breast are feeling kinda heavy especially wen am taken a bath and rubbing soap over itam having sum symptoms like head and back aches, i always feel as dow i wanna throw up but never do, and sometimes abdorminal pain but not rearly. and i had a MC in nov -06. i took a test on 4TH FEB N IT WAS BLANC PUT MY PERIOD CAME ON DA NEX DAY
NE 1 HAVE NE ANSWERS?
Bad news.  The scan yesterday showed something that was definitely not a healthy 6-7 week pregnancy, so I was booked in for a D&C immediately.  I had that at 5pm yesterday.  I still feel quite dizzy today from the anaesthetic, but I do feel a lot better now that I know the waiting game is over and we can concentrate on getting on with it and trying again.  The Dr said I only have to wait for one menstrual cycle.  They made me wait three last time, which was just far too long, and it drove me crazy.
Thanks for all you support and good wishes and hopefully I will have some good news in a few months time.  It has taken a year between each pregnancy so far, but I am hopeful that this time it will be a bit quicker.
I am SO Sorry to hear your update.  
I am glad that your out of the wait, though, and it sounds like it is 'over'.  Good move on having the surgery so quick....are they going to do any testing on the fetal tissue?  They couldn't test mine when I m/c, because the fetus had passed 2 weeks before we found out.  Sometimes, hearing a cause of death helps tremendously w/the grieving process.  

I really hope your doing well, and I have been thinking of you quite a bit.  I will pray for your emotional and physical recoveries, I know how nasty either one can be.  I have really enjoyed talking to you during the past couple of weeks, and hope to see you around.

Thanks for posting your update, and best of luck TTC again!!!!  Take care, Jen  :0)
I'm new to this site but was hoping someone can help. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 8 months now but have had quite a difficult time due to my history of endometriosis. My dr took at pregosterone level test and it came back 13, which i think is good?!?! Then i started spotting on Sunday and had some pain and cramps, which again I thought was good. This morning i took a PT and it came back negative, but i noticed as i was about to flush a little bit of DARK brown was in the toilet. Is this bad? I've had some sharp pains but not on a regular basis. Sorry for babbling, but this is my first pregnancy and i'm just worried.

Hi all!  9wks1day pregnant and spotting.  I started spotting @ 5weeks, first brown, then pink then bright red!  I went to ER where I was told I was most probably having a miscarriage because my cervix was slightly opened.  They checked all of my levels, which were normal and did an US.  To the DR's surprise, there was a little tiny heartbeat even though no fetal pole could be seen!  I was ordered to pelvic and bed rest.  The bleeding stopped.  Occasionally, I would have some brown or pink spotting when I went to the bathroom.  Then, on the 28th of last month, I was in a very bad car accident.  Again went to the ER, checked levels and US, all was well.  The day after, I was spotting bright red again!  I noticed it became worse when I used the bathroom.  Finally got an OBGYN appt. yesterday, DR assured me that all was well.  She said some women just spot and although it is very scarey, there was nothing to be concerned about.  Only if there is pain or bleeding enough to fill a pad should I be concerned.  I am glad that forums like this one are available, however after reading some posts I was literally freaking out!!!  All pregnancy's are different!  So, stay positive!  It may just be how your body works.  Get into an OBGYN asap, this will ease your mind greatly!  Best wishes to all!
Hi everyone,

I'm having some similar symptoms as some of you, and am going absolutely crazy!! For the past 6 days, I've had some brown, mucousy spotting, just enough to wear a pantyliner (usually shows on a wipe). My last period was about 3 weeks before I started spotting. My problem is that, for the past year and a half, my periods have been coming about 3-4 months apart due to coming off birth control. Before my schedule was approximately every 40 days, so, I'm not sure when my next period is to come.

I have taken a pregnancy test, which came up negative. Today there was a little bit of pink as well. I've also had a headache for 4 days straight, and some very mild cramps. Other than that, I have no other symptoms.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or can shed some light on it. It isn't an infection (just came off of antibiotics from bronchitis), or an ovarian cyst (just had an ultrasound 2 months ago). Could this be pregnancy, breakthrough bleeding, or ovulation bleeding? Help!
i am new to it also. my very 1st pregnancy 30 years old. my hubby and i been trying for almost 10 years. now i go to hospital i found i missed my period when i started spotting brown after intercourse. been spotting since over 2 weeks well go to the doctor 1st she says you're definitely pregnant. hcg 11000 but then he orders ultrasound. nothing. hcg reading like i am over 6 weeks but both ultra vaginal and abdomin (abdomen) nothing. she said it could be to early but they did not see sac or anything. she said i probably had a miscarriage. looks like the fetus quit developing or its and etopic. no cramps just spotting over 2 weeks. how is the hcg 11000 and nothing
I am 33 years of age.  I have been pregnant 6 times and have opted to terminate every time.  Now that I am ready to have a baby I am having trouble conceiving.  In the past year I have been under much stress all the while trying to get pregnant.  I have experienced irregular periods and also a six week long period which ended in a D&C.  Since then, I have been experiencing regular periods.  Although every month I anticipate I am pregnant, and when my period comes I am disappointed because I am so anxious to become pregnant.  Last month, my period came a day early with cramping and on the second day I started spotting very dark brown which lasted 'til the third day and then came to an abrupt end.  When I have been pregnant in the past, I have had the very same bleeding pattern as that of last month.  Could I be pregnant?  Or am I going to be let down again.  Please help me.  
Just got back from the Dr who informed me that tests on the tissue from the D&C showed that I had a hydatidiform mole.  So, I am now not allowed to TTC for 6-12months and have to get my blood taken every month.  I think I will have to take up a new hobby for a while to take my mind off it all.  Good luck to others who are on this site looking for answers and battling all that scarey uncertainty. Please keep us updated Pixijal on how you are doing.
Hi ladies!  I'm kind of scared to post anything for fear that I may have to report bad news down the road.  I thought I was 8W1D along and started spotting.  At first it was light brown spotting mostly when I wiped.  I was concerned and scheduled a Dr appointment.  I made it to the Dr. today and they drew blood and I had my first u/s.  The great news is that I saw the heartbeat for the first time and it was strong.  My Dr. and I are quit puzzled however because the size of the baby is concurrent to only being 6W along.  After my appointment I went about my day and went to work.  Now tonight I am having a bright red spotting and clotting.  Could this be happening because of the u/s?  Should I be concerned due to the size and now the bright red bleeding/clotting?  I mean if the baby wasn't developing would I have even seen the heartbeat?  I have so many questions I just don't know where to turn.
A related discussion, im 7 weeks pregnant and im bleeding. was started.
A related discussion, Bleeding during Pregnancy was started.
A related discussion, Pregnancy or period was started.
Hello ladies! So 3 weeks ago I started my period on a sat n on Sunday I went out drinking n stoped it..so Monday morning my period was coming back but I went out with my boyfriend had some wine n stoped it again we had sex and my period never came back... so two weeks later I started spooting dark brown blood ... no pain I still have had my period what could this be ? Can someone help me please
Haven't had my period
I had my period december 11 through the 17th , a week or so after I had sex with my boy friend I do not think I was ovulating and he pulled out but starting on yesterday dec 28 and today the 29 I had some pink and brown spotting and now its mostly brown. And I was having cramps a few day before idk what to think I only mostly see it after I use the bathroom and wipe any ideas please help idk what to do and think its to early to do a test.
Hey I had my period on jan 1st it last only 5 days and on jan.11 I had my period lasted 1w and 5days and on jan. 26 I hav been spotting brown and when I wipe my self is light red but on my pad brown with brown discharge...I have been having unprotected sex for 5 months.I was on depo shot 5 months ago and stop using it.once I stop using it me and my husband have unprotected sex no signs of me pregnant but this month is really scary that I had my period 3 times.can someone please help.
Hi all,
Wonder what you experienced girls think about my situation. I'm almost 36 ttc for the first time, before Int periods were very regular every 25 days, and would last 4-5 days, but since ttc my first period came 10 days late but it was a normal period however the next one came 18 days late and im not even sure I can call it a period it's been very dark discharge and light and has lasted 15 days and counting, I tested for pregnancy 4 times and negative. Any idea what could it be? Please help
Hi I 2 1/2 weeks pregnat with my third child I went for a wee this moring to find a bit of blood it was only a little bit and have had no more since should I be worried never had this wiv the other two?
I am a mother of one and when I first found out I was pregnant I was 6 weeks but I was having cramps when my period was supposed to come on but no blood thats what made me go to the doctor...i wanted to know if I may be pregnant with my second child? Heres my story I got on birth control DEPO and me and my husband have decided we want to try for a baby so I was having sex with him and I was having alittle bleeding afterwards then my period came on I was due for my shot Sept 25 but didnt go but never went so we have been having sex ever since unprotected so now its November and I looked up my ovulations which are Nov 9-16 we had sex almost every day and I had a white discharge and lite spotting after sex and today ive had brown discharge and I wiped it was little spots of blood and cramping but the cramping comes and goes but also my back is aching can some one help me out thank you