Pregnancy Expert Forum
Diet pills and pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Diet pills and pregnancy

My husband and i would like to try and get pregnant, I just recently stopped taking birthcontrol but before we get serious about getting pregnant i would like to know what effects my diet pills would have on getting pregnant.  I am taking OxyElite Pro and i understand your not suppose to take them while pregnant but what about while concieving.
Hi!
On the one hand, having an ideal BMI is helpful when trying to conceive, so you don't want to stop a helpful medication and gain.  On the other hand, the ingredients in the product that you mentioned haven't been well studied in pregnancy, and would therefore potentially be risky.

One option would be to take the medication during the follicular phase ( Start of period through day of ovulation) and stop during the luteal phase at which point there might be an embryo present.

Alternatively, if the diet pills aren't doing much for you anyway, it would probably be healthier to stop them and go with good old diet and exercise.

Good luck!
Dr B
When ttc you should always be cautious. If you are trying to pregnant, act pregnant. As in do not take or do anything that could harm the fetus. I know it is frustrating at times but it's what's best for a potential child. I'm not a dr though but I do know that diet pills are not safe in pregnancy. Additionally many contain caffeine which over 200mg per day has been suggested to increased rates of miscarrige. While eating healthy and exercising is a great idea, diet pills are not. Beat of luck ttc!