Pregnancy Expert Forum
Down syndrome screening

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Down syndrome screening

Hi Doctor,

Wanted to make sure that the NT scan for downs syndrome is safe?

I have my appointment on Monday and have seen a few people post concerns over the safety of ultrasounds and Doppler use.

I had an Us at 7 weeks ( viability) 9 weeks ( follow up) and 11 weeks (handheld Doppler did not work) as well as pulsed Doppler to get the heart beat on ultrasound scan.

Now I have this next ultrasound to look at the neck of the baby.   I just want to make sure all these ultrasounds, especially the Doppler is safe to use.?  I know they don't recommend the Doppler before 10 weeks.

What are your thoughts?

Hi!
We have enough data now to know defintively that ultrasound is safe.  One thing to note is that during an ultrasound, a pulse is sent through the tissue and then the ultrasound "listens" to the waves that return.  Ninety-nine percent of the time the ultrasound is "listening" and only 1% of the time is it transmitting sound waves.

The neural tube screening is one of the best innovations that I have seen in my years as an OB/gyn.  It can be really reassuring if normal, and therefore really reduce the number of amniocenteses that need to be done.  It is a VERY reliable test.

Personally, I would recommend the test to any patient of mine who had an indication for it.
The alternatives would be either less reliable/reassuring tests, OR an amniocentesis.
Even amnios are very safe, but obviously if they can be avoided that is best.

Good luck!
Dr B
What is a neural tube screening and how is it done? I am 39 and currently in my 1st round of IVF. I am due to have my blood work in 2 days. I am just looking into the future and wondering if and how I should check for downs syndrome.
A related discussion, Pregnant at 46? was started.